knight rifles?

trigger45

anybody own one? dont see them posted about very much. tell me about them and the full plastic jacket. looking at the extreem.

simonkenton

Knight makes great rifles. Knight rifles are well known for their accuracy.
The Knight Disc Extreme, though I believe it is no longer made, is a very accurate rifle.
One drawback to the Knight, you have to use those little orange jackets to load the primer, you cannot load the primer directly into the rifle, like you can with a TC Omega, or the Savage.

I saw an ad for the Knight, touting the benefits of the little orange jacket.
This was a full page ad in a magazine, showed a Knight in a bucket of water, the ad said "Takes a soaking and Keeps On Smoking!!"
They had supposedly immersed a Knight in a bucket of water for an hour, and it still fired.
Well, that is well and good, but irrelevant to me.
I have been deer hunting with muzzleloaders for 30 years, and have never had my rifle immersed in water.
I guess, if you want to use your rifle for a paddle for your canoe, get a Knight.

Pahoo

I own and have owned quite a few and they are excellent rifles. The disc and disc-extreme was Knight's step into a so called closed breech or sealed primer. Problem I have encountered is the one stated by simonkenton In the process of using the discs, you had to make sure your alignment was perfect or your striker would not contact the primer. Since then, they have pretty much gone to a true closed breech as other have done and glad of it as did not appreciate seeing the ground littered with the discs. They are well made in just about every way. However, if you are looking at buying one, shop around and see if you can do better on price and features.

Be Safe !!!

Mark whiz

My 1st and only muzzleloading rifle is a Knight USAK American Knight and it has been a wonderful firearm. It was basically their beginner model along with the Wolverine back in 2000 when I bought it. It still uses #11 caps for ignition and isn't "magnum" load rated...........but I can shoot the eye out of a worm with it out to 100 yards to this very day. I have harvested a number of different types of game with it and it has never let me down. I've never seen the need to replace or upgrade it as I can't imagine anything else outshooting it, so I've just pocketed the $$$ I would have spent on another.

Knight's Green Mountain barrels are typically MUCH more accurately machined than most others and the accuracy I get is the result.

For the most part, I think the higher level Knight's are over-priced - but I haven't seen a more accurate rifle anywhere around me.

Pahoo

trigger45
Kind of jumping around, a little. If you are just looking for a good in-line, and keeping the cost down, then the Wolverine or American Knight would be a good choice. Another option is a used Black Diamond by TC. That one will give you the option of using any of the three caps/primers. I say used because they are no longer made. I can find no great fault with any that have been listed but I find that the Black Diamond, is easier to work with and maintain. We teach with all three as well as traditionals and I have "volunteered" to cleaned and maintain them. When you gripe often enough, you wind up getting the job.

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:

klcmschlesinger

Rolling Block

I got the Knight Rolling Block and it doesn't use the little red discs. Green mountain barrel is said to be one of the best in the world. Mine is very accurate and fun to shoot.

whosyrdaddy

bare 209 breech plug

If you buy the Wolverine and don't like the plastic jackets, you can order this conversion breech plug from Knight.

http://www.knightrifles.com/productdetail.aspx?id=900045

900045.jpg

simonkenton

The rifle listed on that link I posted was not advertised as the youth model.
If it were I wouldn't have posted the link.
I hope you didn't get a youth model, but, I think the only difference is, as you suggest, a shorter stock.
As many Wolverines as are out there you should be able to come up with a new stock, if needed.
If need be, maybe you could put a real thick recoil pad on it.
Let us know how it turns out.

trigger45

just talked to a guy who ordered one and he said the stock is not whats short its the little 22 inch barrel. well ill know when i get it and even if i need the stock, ill get it some how.

simonkenton

Have no fear about that 22 inch barrel.
My Savage muzzleloader has a 22 inch barrel and it is no child's toy!
It is a good looking rifle, accurate and powerful.
It doesn't look weird for having a slightly shorter barrel, makes it easier to handle in the brush.

Mark whiz

I'm with simonkenton - don't sweat the 22" barrel. That is what my USAK has on it and like I said earlier, it is incredibly accurate with the right load.

tpcollins

I've had an MH85 for as long as when they first came out (12-15 years). I put a composite thumb hole stock on it right away. I switched to the 209 conversion kit awhile back but always suspected the extra pressure from the 209 unseated my sabot before the charge moved it (it's probably just me).

Last summer I modified the stock with two "piller blocks" which was an addition of one through the trigger guard into the rear tang for extra consistancy in securing the receiver to the stock. Plus I went back to a percussion cap with Knight's newer breech plug that allows me to remove it with the nipple still intact. Shoots great.

trigger45

well its the knight wolverine fullsize stock and everything. put my modern weaver 4x on the already installed bases and now it looks like my .270 used too. havent shot it yet. will friday. are 210gr .44 mag bullet too light for this twist? gonna order some heavy lead bullets and some sabots. got to get some more full plastic jackets.

Mark whiz

Personally, I'd use heavier bullets. My USAK never wanted to play well with lighter bullets so I draw the bottom line at the 300gr level for sabot bullets.
My accuracy standard is with the Hornady 300gr XTP Mag sabots - these are true .45cal bullets in high pressure black sabots. These shoot consistantly all day long and any bullet I try to shoot has to at least come up to their level of accuracy................... plus they are fairly cheap, especially if you can buy the boxes of 50 bullets and the sabots seperately.

The best bullets I've found both in accuracy and performance on game are those offered by Precision Rifle of Canada. Their QT bullets (Cabelas markets them as Extended Range bullets) are just awesome.
Here's their website: http://www.prbullet.com/ Cecil there is a virtual wealth of knowledge on things muzzleloading.