Knife sharpening systems?

Parke1

Ok, here goes. I've got a Firestone wheel-type sharpening system now, but it's getting worn out (the stones are getting smooth and chipped).

The firestone worked really well, but wore out way too fast. Soooo, in your experience, what is the best type of sharpening system out there that poses a harmony of performance, ease of use, and affordability?

Any links for places to buy 'em?

Thanks!
-Parke1

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
Do a search here. Based on what I read in previous posts, I bought the Spyderco system. I've been very pleased with it.

Byron Quick

Staff In Memoriam
Hmm. I just tried the search function and couldn't find a thing using Spyderco, sharpening, or Spyderco and sharpening. I remember the thread though. It was Rich Lucibella's comments on the Spyderco system that decided me.

Coronach

two with which I am familiar are the Lansky Sharpener and the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

Lansky: A metal bracket that clamps to the blade, and set of stones with rods that slip through the bracket. The bracket has a series of holes that allow you to use the stones at four different and exact angles, for varying degrees of sharpness/durability. The only drawback of the Lansky rig that I can see (I'm no expert) is that it is not really possible to sharpen a recurved, serrated or very long blade with the rig.

Spyderco Sharpmaker: a plastic base with holes for triangular stones. You hold the knife upright and slide it over the stones (I'm not explaining this well). It is very easy to do, and can be used on the blade types that the Lansky cannot.

If I had to buy one, it would be the Sharpmaker. The Lansky can do more blade angles, and is therefore more useful in that sense, but the Sharpmaker is much easier to use and can do more blade types.

Of course, they're both inexpensive, so you an just buy both.

Mike

Jack Carson

For most blades opt for the Spyderco!

I've had mine for over 15 years and it's still the best system I've owned. Having said that, two years ago my wife bought me a Henckel chef's knife that is the devil's own step-mother to sharpen. A few weeks ago I borrowed my Dad's Lansky sharpener and it sharpened that sucker to a razor's edge in about 15 minutes.

There are optional sharpening stones with the Lansky system that are reported to sharpen serrated blades very well. They are triangular in shape like the Spyderco system. As mentioned earlier, both Spyderco and Lansky are inexpensive so you could afford both in need be.

90 percent of my sharpening needs are met by the Spyderco but I plan on buying my own Lansky just as soon as Dad wants his back!
Jack

Navy joe

Lansky, but don't substitute a system for a skill, I most often find myself using the lansky stones by themselves or a DMT diamond matrix stone. Can use Chef's steel, barbers strop(and/or side of boot). The Spyderco Native sees one thing only and thats the bottom of my favorite coffee mug and then I strop it on my boot. Sharp beyond belief.

I use the whole Lansky set-up only when restoring a blade that someone else abused beyond recognition. For serrated blades I just have a little diamond stick

3 gun

I have the Lansky 5 stone kit. Works great on up to 6" blades. Shaving sharp on any blade I've tried it on. Even brought a couple of "trashed" workbench blades back to razor sharp. I added the serrated stone to the kit to cover everything I own. The kit is a little large to travel "in the field" so I have a small set of cermaic sticks for the pack. I just use the Lansky system at the same angle as the sticks on my field blades. Keeps life simple.

Gino

I bought a Spyderco Sharpmaker from www. knifeworks.com a couple of months ago. Cost was just under $50 shipped. So far I'm impressed. The thing has been able to sharpen all of my knves with ease.

JWC in MS

I have used the Lansky for years and would say I am 90% satisfied.
I have not been able to sharpen blades that have constant taper from the back(top) of the blade to the edge. Those that have a parrallel non-taper can easily be brought to a razors edge.

Nanaimo Barr

ok, question, when ever I try to sharpen a blade with a stone I end up screwing it up because I can't maintain the angle. does either of these systems deal with that?

JWC in MS

Nanaino Barr
Never think you are the only one who has this trouble. The key to sharpening a knife is keeping the angle between blade and stone the same. Sounds pretty simple, but it ain't!!
I have no experience with the Spyderco, but the Lanskey can and does maintain the same angle on most knives. If the blade has a "flat" that the clamp can grip and not move it is simple to get a razor type ecge.

I have the Lansky. My set came with a triangular stone for sharpening serrated blades. I have only used it a couple times and it seemed to work OK-I don't own any serrated blades myself. I have also used the Lansky on long blades, you just have to move the clamp which of course takes a lot more time. I also purchased a stone that is more coarse than the ones in the set for blades that have been badly abused or when the factory made no attempt to sharpen it, and a finer stone than the ones in the kit to try to get a little extra sharpness. In addition I bought a razor strop for the finishing touch.