Knife/Gun carry combo

Eric Larsen

Im just curious, what do you all carry when its a knife/gun combo?
Where do you wear each? Knife=weak hand etc.? Do you like folders/fixed/straight/serrated/on belt/IWB?
Should I carry my Kershaw Whirlwind or my Cold steel master tanto?
Is a knife an adequate backup weapon for a gun... or in just CQ combat or what?
Shoot well

G3

To me knives serve to functions: jujitsu repellant and cutting bagels in half.

I'd choose a knife with a blade shape that is actually functional (no tantos or hawkbills for me, thank you). Most of the time you will be using your knife for something other than slicing up derranged crack heads.

I find plain edge blades much more useful and easier to sharpen. In a defensive knife course, I was actually surprised that a sharp plain edge will cut deeper than serrated blades.

Folding knives with pocket clips available to each hand and that can be easily opened with one hand are my preference. Fixed blades are much faster on the draw and better weapons, but it's not practical to whip out a fixed blade everytime I want to cut something. It's a compromise between portability/utility and effectiveness.

jar

Whether I'm carrying or not I almost always have a knife carried weak side, Strong side will most ofet be a gun, but sometimes a second knife. The weakside knife is usually a Combat Folder from Terzoula, sometimes one of my Crawfords.

The Crawford Kasper and Falcon.
standard.jpg

The Crawford Point Guard.
standard.jpg

In This photo, the Combat Folder is on the bottom/right. From top/left, a Kit Carson #4 with 4" blade, a Peter Marker Maxi and the Terzoula Combat Folder.
standard.jpg

krept

I carry a Microtech auto Amphibian for EDC. Knives are extreeeeemely useful for many chores. Carry clipped to the rear of my right front pocket. Sometimes I carry a CRKT Bear Claw w/no scales or an F4. Am currently making some neck knives to my own specs to replace these.

When I carry a firearm its a G27, but I'm looking to change this in the near future with either a USPc .45 of P7M8 if I can scrape up the cash. Carry 3 o'clock IWB in Galco Deep cover holster.

knife and pistol are strong side.

I'm thinking about making some kydex belt sheaths to carry extra magazines. After starting to work with knives I've found that kydex is SUPER easy to work with.

And my Amphib is 50/50 meaning half serrated, half plain. Like this combo for EDC. Serrated is not hard to sharpen with the proper equipment and the Spyderco Sharpmaker is just the ticket for the chore. Serrated makes chaw out of fiber. Forward unserrated part of blade is still nice for slashing, opening bokes, etc, the things you use a knife of that size for.

Mannlicher

I vary my carry gun, as well as what knives (s) I carry. I prefer to have a pocket knife, like a Leatherman, or a Swiss Army type, in my pocket. This is for doing all those little tasks that pop up during the day.

My Social Knife is usally a Cold Steel Tanto, the old 6 inch, brass pommel one, or a Randall #1. This is carried on my belt, behind my left hip, or in an sheath on my calf. The 1911, BHP or CZ is worn inside the waist on the strong side.

BMWGS80

I always carry a knife on both sides and practice using both hands. If there is a pocket there is a knife in it. Unless I have my S&W bodyguard tucked into a front pocket. Then I shift that knife to the waistband. Most of the time I carry a folder. When dress permits I will carry a straight knife. It is far superior to any folder.

Since it is illegal to carry a Dirk,Dagger, Arkansas Toothpick or Bowie in my state I carry a Hobbit Warrior, CS tanto, or HI Khukri.

Too bad I don't live in KY. Then I could legally carry anything I wanted.

Cheers,

ts

foghornl

At the risk of being called a "smart-a$$", my favorite gun/knife combo is the bayonet fixed to the end of my M-1 Garand.

OF

That Terzoula is gorgeous, Jar. Kind of looks like a leaner meaner Sebenza.

- Gabe

Gomez

My daily carry pistola is a Glock M-19 mounting an ITI/Streamlight M3 light. With a plus2 base this gives me 18 rounds in-gun and an M17 spare mag. Of course, since I'm scared of the dark, I also carry a SureFire Z3 light on my belt and an E2e clipped in my left front pocket. My daily carry knives are a Leatherman Tool in my back left pocket, a Leatherman Micra with an ArcLite attached to it in my right front (watch) pocket and [generally] Spyderco Delica Clipits [one plainedge & one serrated] in each front pocket. Lately, I've been carrying a Renott-modified Endura II in appendix carry in lieu of the right-side Delica. If I'm not carrying my ASP in , I'll carry my CRKT Polkowski/Kasper Companion in a River City Sheaths appendix carry rig instead.

As long as I stay far away from water, I do OK. But when it starts to ran heavy, I get a little nervous.:p :p :p :p

tommygun45

Gomez,

Gee whiz, I thought I was the only one who stayed away from water deeper than I can stand in and magnets ( the BIG electro-magnetic kind ;) ). On a daily basis I carry a Kimber Pro-Carry SLE (strong side IWB) w/ spare mag (off side), Gerber multi tool (strong side ahead of the gun)Sure Fire 6-p (off side behind the mag), swiss army Super Tinker (front pocket), Emerson CQC-7 (cliped to right front pocket), Kershaw Mini-Task (set up for left hand), TOPS kneck knife, kuboton and OC (left side rear pocket). Of course I still make room for my wallet, permits, pager, cell phone, keys and date book.
My friends have jokingly refered to it as my "Bat Belt".

Renfield

my ccw pistol and knife have nothing in common..I carry a Glock 26 9mm (most of the time) but my knife is a Marble's doctor's knife with pearl handles

revjen45

Steyr S9, 5-shot .38, S&W SWAT2 folder, and lock blade Vitorinox. A pocket knife may not be much of a weapon, but the 9mm isn't much good for cutting a pork chop.