Kirst Konversion for my Uberti .44 Dragoon

rodent.22

I I received my .44 Dragoon on the 15th and decided to convert it to .45 centerfire. I ordered the Kirst cylinder last Sunday and it was on my doorstep Wednesday. Fit and finish was perfect. A drop-in for the Uberti, no timing issues or fitting problems whatsoever. A loading channel must be cut into the right recoil shield. A 1/2'' carbide rotary bit in an air drill roughed it out in about 30 minutes. Careful here!! Then an hour of progressively finer sandpaper until the cut surface matched the frame surface. A swirling of cold blue and it looks factory. I'm very pleased with the result. I reload for Cowboy Action loads (1000 FPS) or less which is REQUIRED for this conversion and this is the load I shoot in my Vaqueros.:D

Last edited:

Hawg

I responded to this on one of the other forums you posted it on. Looks nice but if you'll pull the hammer to full cock before lowering it you'll stop scoring the cylinder.

enyaw

Rodent, what bullets do you use in that Dragoon with the conversion cylinder? What size-diameter?
What are the land and groove diameters of the barrel?
You use a hollow base bullet? Heeled bullet? Flat base? Pure lead? Alloy? Hard cast?
Any leading to the barrel?
What does "shoots great" mean in terms of group size at 25 yards benched?
You shooting smokeless or blackpowder?

rodent.22

enyaw I'm using .452 alloy Proofmark bullets RNFP with flat base. After 50 break-in rounds NO LEADING. Using a Lee .7 dipper with Bullseye smokeless powder. I have had double catarac surgery and 3 retina detachments, bench shooting ain't my strong point. ''Shoots great'' is to point of aim....:D