King Cobra Pricing

dallasconundrum

I received some mixed new today from a friend of mine concerning a Colt King Cobra. Now, I have been on the prowl for one of these guns for awhile, and the good news is that he has found one. Stainless, 4 inch, just exactly what I am looking for. The bad news is two-fold: one it is at a pawn shop about two hours away from me, and more importantly I think that it is overpriced.

This is where you guys come in. I'll admit that I am not very up on going prices of Colts. Now, Smith and Wesson and to a lesser extent, Ruger I can do. Anyway, he said the guy told him it $750. Now, I know that Colts usually bring a pretty good bit, but this seems little out of line to me, more in the territory of a Python. I could be completely wrong though. BUT, on the other hand, my friend was looking at another gun that was marked $450 and the guy offered it to him for $350 out the door.

If this guy could go $500 or maybe $550 I think I'd probably get it. That seems more in line to me, but again I do not really have a firm grip on Colt pricing. So, what do you Colt guys think?

Majic

Depending on condition (like NIB with everything) I wouldn't pay over $600 for a KC. It will be a little more expensive because it is a Colt, but it's still just a $500 to $600 revolver. Occasionally I see one used, but not abused for around $450+ though it's not often.
I would put $500 cash on the counter and either it would go home with me or I would put the money back in my pocket and walk out. $750 is rediculous to ask for a KC.

juliet charley

I'd say overpriced, but one of our local pawnshops had one in considerably less than sterling condition (and had been drilled and tapped) for $650, and it lasted less than two weeks (though I don't know what the "out-the-door" price finally was, but knowing the pawnshop, I doubt if it was less than $550).

dallasconundrum

Well guys, I went and looked today. I ended up picking it up. My friend had been mistaken, or the price had been changed one. It was marked for $595. He originally offered it to me for that figure flat, tax and background check included. I fumbled around with him for a little, he kept calling it a Python, finally I said, "Look this isn't a Python, if it were I would buy it at this price in a heartbeat, but it's not and these guns just don't bring as much." He called the owner and talked to him and I ended up getting it for $535 tax and everything included.

I am really happy with my purchase as I had been wanting one of these bad for awhile. He told me that they picked it up at an estate auction and that the guy had been a collector. He also said that it had never been fired, to which I was at first skeptical until I looked at the cylinder and noticed that it had only a VERY faint hint of outside burn ring on one hole. So, I tended to believe him. However, it did not have the original box and papers, but it did still have the original warning tag on it and is absolutely mint.

dallasconundrum

Sorry to bring my old, dead thread to life again but...

You can scratch out the last few lines of my last post on here. The dealer called me today, and said that he had found the original box and all of the original papers for the gun. Sure, enough picked them up this afternoon.
Very happy.:D

Dfariswheel

Good buy.
Master gunsmith Jerry Kuhnhausen believed the King Cobra was the strongest mid-frame revolver ever built.

The only "look-out" is to use snap caps if you dry fire it.

Some of these firing pins "might" break, and this REQUIRES a trip back to Colt for replacement.
The job requires a special press and support jigs to press the pin out, and install a new firing pin without damaging the frame.

Other than that, the KC is an absolute TANK.

dallasconundrum

Thanks guys. I agree, it seems very very well made. Beefy in all of the right places.

Now I really do want to find one that is more of a beater that I can pick up cheap and give a workout. :D

jhco50

I gave 300 for mine, out the door. It is in excellent condition without the box. 350 is probably not that bad. Mine is a 6" SS.