King Cobra Price?

'88Scrat

There is a local pawn shop where I live that has a Colt King Cobra (6" barrel with a nicekl finish) for sale. They are asking $750 firm but I got to be honest I'm not sure its worth that, not even close really.

The thing looks like it was intentionally abused and was apparently rarely if ever cleaned. There is evidence of rust on the cylinder, ribs, and even some parts of the frame. The hammer spur has a large dent in it, like it was dropped onto concrete at some point. Even the grips looked like cheap aftermarket replacements.

If it was a Python I could see where $750 might be negotiable. But for a King Cobra $750 seems totally out of line. Am I way off base here or is $750 a reasonable price after all?

For the record this post is really only to satisfy my curiosity, I have no wish to buy this particular King Cobra, though I hope to own one eventually.

Stressfire

Some quickie-like Google-Fu yielded one on GA that looks to be in pretty nice shape for $1200 w/ 6" barrel, etc - also 4 inch for same price. Many others going for quite a bit more. But those all appear to be stainless.

I'm assuming from the statements about rust, you are referring to blued? Sounds pretty high from my non-collector standpoint, 2012 catalog lists blued King Cobras at 875 NIB, 100 poor condition. Market demand might dictate differently.

Last edited:

laytonj1

There are no nickel King Cobras. It's stainless and likely the bright (high polish) finish.
If it's really in not so good condition than $750 is too much.
That said, in great condition they are getting awfully close to the $1K mark.
They are quality guns but were mass produced versus the Python and certainly not worth Python money.

Jim

DFrame

If the gun is as banged up as you describe I would not pay that much for it. In a different thought, the KC as noted is a highly polished stainless gun that could be repolished at home if carefully done. Flitz seems to work wonders.

dado5

just for reference about 2 years ago I picked up a stainless 6" king cobra which was used but in good shape, not a case queen. i paid $600 but it was from a private seller, not a dealer.

GP100man

While the KC is a good DA revolver it "is a colt" & demands premium prices ,even for used 1s . Is it worth twice or even thrice the price of a GP100, not IMHO & I owned all the snake family at one time !!!