Kindred Spirits in TX...

Thumper

Hey everyone...I just moved to the Dallas,-Ft. Worth area not too terribly long ago. I lived in Ga for awhile and, as you know, when you live somewhere for a long time you develop a kind of shooting support structure. Anyway, I'm here now and really don't have a whole lot of folks to shoot with. Can anyone provide me with some info concerning what ranges you prefer, where to do a little IDPA shooting, good gun stores, when and where the gun shows are...that sort of thing? Any info would be appreciated.

Jhp147

IDPA

I'm too far north to help, but the IDPA web site lists the clubs by state, along with addresses and how to contact them.

RiverRider

Thumper, I live just north of Fort Worth.

I avoid Dallas like the plague. I didn't lose anything there, and have no reason to risk my life on 635 or any other of the battle venues in Dallas.

About Fort Worth...well, there aren't too many options that trip my trigger. I grew up and lived in the El Paso area and was spoiled by being able to drive a few miles out of town and shoot as I pleased. The good ol' days.

Anyway, if you are looking in the Fort Worth area, you might try Alpine. You should shoot there once so that you know what a crappy place to shoot is like around here. Then try Quail Creek. It's north of Fort Worth a little ways, but it's the best place around here I have found.

Gopher

Check out the Collin County Gun Range in McKinney for IDPA. They just held the state finals there a month or so ago. You will have to brave Central Depressway north to get there. Its about 20-25 miles to your north. Check around at the gun show at Market Hall Jan 6th (I think it that weekend)and you should be able to find some info on ranges there. The folks at the NRA booth by the front door would be the best bet. Welcome to Texas by the way, first Shiner is on me.

Jarhead_22

Let me add my welcome to Texas to those you've already received. The Will Rogers Auditorium off I-30 at University has huge gunshows every five or six weeks. Dallas Market Hall also has some big ones. Big Town in Mesquite has a smaller, but still worthwhile show from time to time.

For IDPA, I second Collin County Gun Range. They have a Tac range that is perfect for IDPA matches. Targetmaster's in Garland has IDPA shoots weekly, but I forget which night.

I've got the second round of Shiners.

Jarhead out.

Thumper

I appreciate the info, folks. Just for the record, I'm a Texan...I was just gone a few years. I'm back, and Shinerbock is always welcome.

Bulldog

Ranges not already mentioned:

- Bullet Trap - Plano - Ave K & Park - Indoor

- Garland Public Shooting Range - Garland - Pleasant Valley Rd ~3/4 mile from George Bush Turnpike/Northeast Parkway - Outdoor

- Backwood Traps - Denton County - Hwy 380, 6-8 miles West of SH289/Preston Road - Outdoor

Stores:

- Bullet Trap (Same as above)

- Lone Star Guns, SE Corner Ave K & Park, Plano

- Gunmaster, SW Corner Custer & Parker, Plano

- Little River Gun Co, SW Corner US75 & Beltline, Richardson (Near Office Max/Depot)

- T & Sons, East side of the Square (Locust St) in Denton

Anyone else?

Gopher .45

As for Collin County Gun Range, from where you are, you won't have to brave very much of Central Expressway, but will have to drive an equally bad Highway 121 from your home. It meets Central just south of McKinney. I emailed you CCGR's web address last night. They have a map on their site as well.

chadintex

DFW Gun Club on Mockingbird
Ray's Guns on Singleton
B&S Guns in Garland
Bachman Pawn and Gun on Northwest highway

Welcome back to Texas.

Michael

Add this range to the list for long range rifle, tactical, subgun, and instruction.
TacPro Shooting center, 90 minutes west of Arlington on I-20 at exit 360 then 6 miles south toward Stephenville on Hiway 108. Daily shooting fees for non members, yearly memberships, instruction, etc.
http://www.eaze.net/~tacpro/

NAD

TargetMaster, an indoor range, on Jupiter Rd in Dallas (actually Garland) I think is still having IDPA matches on Wednesday nights every other week.

Bulldog

Forgot about a few stores:

- Nix Shooting Supplies in Lewisville
- Winchester Gallery in Ft. Worth
- Bob's Discount Firearms in Hurst
- Irving Firearms in, well, Irving

At the shows (Mesquite & Dallas Market Hall), I deal almost exclusively with Kennedy's Korner out of Witchita Falls. Bachman's and Doc Walther's are good folks, too.

Lance Gothic

Dear Thumper,
I'll check with friends regarding some of the clubs in the area. Next gun show, or two, you're like as not to find good organized operations like the Dallas Arms Collectors Association.
Regards,
Lance Gothic
Shibumi