Kindness Shown in the Gun Community.

5whiskey

So first a story, then followed with a question.

I took my daughter to a local range here in Central NC a few days ago. While there I saw a family sighting in a few hunting rifles. Really nice seeming family. I marveled over an older semi-automatic hunting rifle of theirs laying out on the table behind the bench, and called my daughters attention to the beautiul figured wood stock. I didn't recognize the rifle, but just knew that it was gorgeous. I was shooting my Yugo Mauser. The father struck up a conversation with me after seeing me shoot, asking if I collected old war rifles and if I was a veteran {he noticed a USMC patch on my rifle bag}. I told him that I did collect old WWII era rifles, despite my collection being meager, and that I was a veteran and current National Guard. He mentioned that he had an old rifle like mine at home and wanted my phone number. I gave it to him, expecting him to have questions about it.

The gentleman calls me the next day trying to sell his rifle. I find out its a type 99. As thrilled as I was, as I want all the major bolt action rifles of WWII and I dont have an Arisaka yet, I told him I just couldnt buy it from him now with Christmas coming up. He even offerred to take a $100 deposit and I could take the rifle and pay him the rest after Christmas. I told him I didnt feel comfortable doing that, and told him I would call him when I got the money to see if he still had it. I thanked him for the offer though. He wanted $300 for it... not the best price ever but fair. He called a couple days ago and offered it again at $200. I again had to decline, but told him I could probably scrape that up quickly.

Today he called and told me that he wanted to give me the rifle. Free. He told me that he thought about it and he felt compelled to give it to me. I didnt know what to say, and I told him that. I told him I wasnt dirt poor and it wasnt a need, per se. He insisted that he wanted to give it to me. I had mixed feelings, but I almost felt as though it would be an insult to not accept it. I met him and vowed to either repay him, or pay it forward. Ive only met this man once before, and only spoke to him like 10 minutes.

So that is the background. Now with the question. I have offered several things to this gentleman to repay in kind. I do leather work and wood work. He has declined. I fully intend to do something nice for him, and also to pay his kindness forward. I plan to make something nice for him out of walnut, though I havent figured out what, and to also offer a gift to someone else. If nothing else I will donate to a charity in his honor. Back to the question.... are these appropriate responses? What would you do? Did I do the right thing by accepting the rifle? I am open to discussion, debate, and suggestions.

mag1911

It was likely something he got cheap/free and decided it needed to go to some one who would enjoy it more, especially a veteran and collector. I think it was appropriate to accept it since he obviously got more enjoyment giving it to you than he did keeping it.

If nothing else, assuming it's safe to shoot, you could buy a couple boxes of ammunition for it and invite him back to the range to shoot half of them.

mr bolo

you should pay him something, at least $100 when you get the money

but try to pay him his offer of $200

Ive tried selling firearms to pawnshops / dealers and they always want it for nothing or low ball you with an very low price, but they will glady take it for free.

dont be like a pawn shop guy, show some respect and try to pay for it.

44 AMP

Staff
Accepting a freely offered gift (and being honored) is ok. Paying for the gift, in cash or service isn't ok in my book and some would consider it insulting.

I would.

If we make some kind of deal, we make some kind of deal. If I give you a gift, its a gift, not a deal. Nor do I expect a gift in return. Exchange gifts at Christmas, fine, but when its just a gift its a gift.

Not everyone feels that way, but some do. The last thing you want is to insult the gentleman. Just be worthy of the gift, and the spirit behind it. That's all the gentleman expects, and what the deed deserves.
of course, that's just what I think, and worth what you paid for it. My gift, to you. :rolleyes:

and just FYI, in German the word "Gift" means "poison" :D

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I would certainly attempt to Pay It Forward and would not hesitate to do or make something for the gentlemen. However, I fully agree with 44 AMP. Do not rob the man of the blessing of giving a gift. Let him do something kind. Some times folks neither expect nor want payment and it can serve to cheapen the experience.

blackwidowp61

Some things seem to be very obvious to me here, but correct me if I'm wrong.

The gentleman obviously saw you admiring the rifle, even bringing it to the attention of your daughter. This showed him that you appreciated the rifle.

He appreciated the fact that you are a vet and that you were trying to collect WWII rifles.

Since he had his family there with him shooting, it seems to me that he would have offered the Arisaka to a family member if they had shown an interest in it.

He had no need for the rifle and didn't want it to sit in storage uselessly.

For these reasons, he offered you the rifle for a price and you couldn't accept/afford the offer. He felt that he could give the rifle a good home by giving it to you as a gift. (At least, that would be what I would have done under the same circumstances!)

Paying him may be the wrong thing you could do. Giving him a gift in return would probably be the better thing to do. Something like a routered sign with 'Welcome' or 'The _____ Family' that can be mounted someplace would be nice, or just ask yourself what you could make that he probably doesn't have and he/the family would/could use.

unclejack37

Try to keep in touch with him as much as you can, Clean the gun up and take Him out to the range with it along with some of your other collections and let him shoot them. Share him with your close friends and family. Everything happens for a reason.

Srewball

Maybe make a donation to something local in his name. In our small town, acts of kindness and generosity often are reflected in donations to local efforts like the food pantry or holiday lights on the town christmas tree. The little newspaper frequently has small clips that read such things as "$50.00 donation to the food pantry anonymously donated in thanks to kindness shown by ( mr. so and so ).
Just an idea. I agree with others that if this item was a gift to you, you may very well hurt this guys feelings by trying to pay him money for it now. Sounds like you made two very good and clear points. "we are not poor and this is not a NEED". I see this as a clear verbal signal that no one should feel compelled to offer charity. So when he did offer, it was an offer that would be rewarding to him should you accept his offer.

Last edited:

Pahoo

Give him an offer, he can't refuse.

Not wanting to sound like the Godfather but I would give him an offer, he can't refuse. I have been involved with situation like this often but seldom to this degree. ….. :confused:

I "Always" accept graciously as It would be insulting to decline. I then find a way to show my gratitude. The last time this happened was a friend that has a very large storage business and he lets me store one of my vehicles, for the winter. He always refuses the usual storage fee and I don't push it. I left a plastic shopping bag on one of his benches and left. Two days later he calls and asked if I had left the bag by mistake. I admitted to leaving it there but not by mistake. I left his one of those new LED tactical flashlight and two boxes of shells. In turn, he graciously and politely accepted the material. … ;)

You should be able to show your gratitude. Stop offering and just do it. .. :)

Good people do good things, naturally !!!
Be Safe !!!

5whiskey

How can anyone say "no" to a really nice set of hand-made walnut grips?

I've asked if he had a pistol with removable grips as this is my forte. He doesn't. I offered to make a jewelry box for his wife, a holster... anything. The only thing I can think of that would be near universal is an adjustable tooled leather sling.

I'm definitely going to clean up the rifle and offer to let him shoot it. That was a great idea guys thanks! I also plan to write a think you letter, and will be doing a pay it forward. I have a marlin model 60 with some kids name on it. I also plan to make a holster or something to auction off at the next NRA banquet and donate in the name of his business.

blackwidowp61

My brother and sister find old kid's wagons that are tossed to the curb. My brother takes the hardware off the ruined boxes and turns them into circus wagons, fire trucks, etc. He even went so far as to make a lowboy trailer and made a caterpillar bulldozer to put on it. He then sells them or has silent bids and gives the money to the local children's hospital or a school for the blind. If the guy has young kids/grandkids and you have old wagons in your neighborhood...

FrankenMauser

Make the man a gift - a true gift, not something that's clearly repayment - and then also 'pay it forward' in some way.

How that works out, I have no idea. But you're the man with leather and wood. I'm sure you can think of something.

Sidebar: How's the Type 99?...

5whiskey

Sidebar: How's the Type 99?...

It's great for a gift! A fair amount of rust, but no major pitting on the barrel/receiver/bolt. The bore is chrome-lined so it's in great shape. The Mum is ground, but that's ok by me. All in all obviously a safe shooter and no major deterioration.

It was likely something he got cheap/free and decided it needed to go to some one who would enjoy it more, especially a veteran and collector. I think it was appropriate to accept it since he obviously got more enjoyment giving it to you than he did keeping it.

The gentleman obviously saw you admiring the rifle, even bringing it to the attention of your daughter. This showed him that you appreciated the rifle.

He appreciated the fact that you are a vet and that you were trying to collect WWII rifles.

Since he had his family there with him shooting, it seems to me that he would have offered the Arisaka to a family member if they had shown an interest in it.

He had no need for the rifle and didn't want it to sit in storage uselessly.

For these reasons, he offered you the rifle for a price and you couldn't accept/afford the offer. He felt that he could give the rifle a good home by giving it to you as a gift. (At least, that would be what I would have done under the same circumstances!)

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. I'm still taken back a little though. Nothing like this has really ever happened to me. I can say it did me good seeing that there are still many really good and kind people out there, and has inspired me to be better.

1-DAB

i've told my wife that someday, hopefully many years from now, when i'm too old to enjoy shooting my guns, and with no children to pass them down to, that i'd likely find a shooting buddy or 3, call them over, and tell them to accept/take several. if i can't enjoy them, then others should.

can't take it with you.

Pahoo

Can always donate them to the NRA

Not to hi-jack this post but you have to pass-on your firearms, you can donate them to the NRA. I have three daughter and grandkids that would not really appreciate what I have. None know the difference between Blackpowder and Talcum powder …. :(

Be Safe !!!