Kinda newbie 1911 question

Jart

After getting "hooked" on 1911's recently, I tried to satisfy some curiosty on the history of the beast.

The changes from the 1911 to 1911A1 were easy to find - seems most modern versions incorporate all the "A1" mods. Except one.

Why did the arched mainspring housing fall out of favor? I haven't seen it much on "modern" 1911's. Not that I've seen that many, but Wilson and Kimber seem to all be "flat" MSH's.

Sorry for the newbie question.

Rival

I have a Springfield that also happen to have a flat MSH... I know one thing - you can always change it to arched one with no problems.

As far as falling out of favor, I am not sure... Maybe it was done for looks - I like the way my gun looks with a flat MSH. It gives the gun this distinctive square look... Flat MSH just looks plain better with those classic 1911 grips and everything else.

dsk

The arched housing was introduced in 1924 because shooters of the day were habituated to the barrel-to-grip angle of revolvers, and to many the 1911 pointed too low. Of course nowadays most folks are used to the grip angle of a 1911, and the concensus seems to be that the flat housing feels better in the hand. I seem to be the only guy on the planet who can live with any combination of long or short trigger, arched or flat housing on a 1911.