Kimber vs. Kimber

pipoman

I am going to order my new ccw this week. I have decided on Kimber Pro size 1911. The only question which remains is which model, Pro Carry Stainless, Eclipse Pro, or CDP Pro. This will be an everyday carry. Is there any advantages of one finish over the other? I believe they are all the same mechanically, if not please advise.

TFL has been a great source. I came here originally to help me decide on the ccw for me, now I'm a TFL addict. I probably would have purchased a 3" 1911 before reading all of the 1911 posts on here. I could not find a thread about this specific question. Thanks.

HappyGunner

My thoughts

I have both the Tac Pro. 4" and the Ultra Carry 3" they both have never had any FTF or FTE problems.:) The 4" has a longer butt that you will notice a lot more then the 3" when carrying all day. All you need to do is keep them well oiled and get the recoil springs changed when required. Also I highly recommend using a quality Mag. like Wilson Combat or Metalform.;)

Lycanthrope

CDP. It has the melt job for smooth edges and has the aluminum lightweight frame for easy carry + night sights.

I have an Eclipse, and while they are nice looking the finish will wear easy with carry. I also had problems on two occasions with the bar-dot night sights (the tritium in the bar clumps up and glows unequally).

Both the CDP and the Eclipse have serrated front straps. I'm not familiar with the pro carry stainless although my carry Kimber is a Compact Aluminum Stainless and it wears well.

pipoman

I finally made up my mind and ordered a Pro CDP. Up to 4 weeks for delivery which is not a problem since the Milt Sparks holster I ordered will take 12 to 18 weeks!:eek:

I first learned that "Good things come to those who wait", when I ordered my Randall knife...4 YEARS wait.:D

BatmanX

Been looking for...

Kimber Ultra RCP II.
Good friend of mine picked his up for $800.00 - now can't find one around here for less than $1200.00. :confused:

I will keep my eyes open though, I will get one.

HappyGunner

Save Money

I have two Millt Sparks holsters their nice at around $100 each they should be nice. And yes it's a long long wait. But I also have two Comp-Tac holsters that are really much better IMHO and they cost around $50 each also you will have them on you'r hip in about a week if not sooner. I am not putting down old Tony K aka Milt Sparks "Mr.Sparks is deceased" but for my money you are better served with a Comp-Tac holster.;) And money ahead.:)

Last edited:

PeterGunn

Kimber...

Does the model have the famous plastic mainspring housing?

I have heard that they are the best in the whole world!

Enjoy!

darkvibe

I didnt look up the specifics on those models so the eclipse is the only one i am familiar with but I'll put in my 2 cents anyway.

If you ask me, since it's a carry gun go the cheapest route with night sights.

pipoman

I believe the cheapest route would have been a blue Pro Carry. I wanted stainless and night sights which put the Pro Carry within $75 of the CDP. I am not a gun expert but I know it is easier to sell a Lincoln w/standard equipment than a Grand Marquis with the same options and worth only 10% less.;)

poortrader

Just have fun with the Kimber. I have a S/S Ultra Carry, that I sent back to have factory night sights put on them. It doesn't matter if it's a Lincoln or a Mercury, both will still go bang, bang,bang,bang, bang,bang, bang, or bang if you have the 8 round mag.....

poortrader

Just have fun with the Kimber. I have a S/S Ultra Carry, that I sent back to have factory night sights put on them. It doesn't matter if it's a Lincoln or a Mercury, both will still go bang, bang,bang,bang, bang,bang, bang, or bang if you have the 8 round mag.....

pipoman

by poortrader

No dis of the Carry line meant at all. darkvibe suggested to go with the cheapest version for carry which was my thought too. I was only explaining why I chose the CDP.

I will post a range report after the gun is received.

cocojo

I have two Kimber CDP's one full size the other the pro model. I love both of them, but make sure you buy and use Wilson magazines with the plastic followers for those alluminum frames. The plastic followers are the only followers that won't ding up the feed ramp on those frames. The metal followers do a job on the ramps. Enjoy your pistol. My Pro model is more accurate than the full size model.

pipoman

by happygunner

I am not putting down old Tony K aka Milt Sparks "Mr.Sparks is deceased" but for my money you are better served with a Comp-Tac holster. And money ahead.

I took your advise and ordered a Comp-tac C TAC today. I will still wait on the Sparks too. I have 2 or 3 holsters for each of my other ccws. I will post later which I like better. The people at Comp-tac are nice and they said they would ship within 72 hrs, cant beat that. I have never used kydex.

HappyGunner

You will like the Comp-Tac holster

Like I posted before I have two MiltSpark Versa MaxII holsters but I now find the Comp-Tac holsters the best for my needs. and I now have three of them. the service at Copm-Tac is the best and they stand behind their products.