Kimber v. Springfield

pittspilot

Was at a gun show the other day, and got to look at (what I think is) a Springfield Ultra SS, and a Kimber ultra carry CQB.

Both were great, although the person offering wanted 795.00 for each.

:barf:

So what is the general opinions on these guns, which would you choose? What is a good price?

Tim

RikWriter

Personally I don't care for the ultra-compact 1911s such as the ones you mentioned and the Colt Defender...too many bad things can happen when you shorten the slide that much. My personal advice would be to shop around for a Kimber Compact Aluminum.

dsk

Uh... by asking this question you are about to start another long-running brand-loyalty flame war. Both are potentially excellent guns, both with their quirks, and both with their fanbase. Pick the one you think feels the best in your hand and go for it.

youngun

FWIW, it seems like a good price on the Kimber, a bad price on the SA.
Myself, I'm getting the SA UC(all-steel), and a full-size Kimber.
This is the only way out of an otherwise endless maze of dooom!

youngun

MatthewM

To check price, I always to go www.gunbroker.com & there are always Kimbers of every model there.
Firearms Trading Post is another source for stores / prices.

Email me if you want to know who I bought my Kimber through. Also get a couple 10rd Chip McCormick "tactical" extra magazines.

Almost no one knows that there is a 5" model of this pistol as well. Not as concealable, but same light weight frame.

Kevinch

Was at a gun show the other day, and got to look at (what I think is) a Springfield Ultra SS, and a Kimber ultra carry CQB.

Not to correct you - :) - but Kimber does not produce a CQB. They do, however, market a CDP line of pistols. These are Kimber Custom Shop guns, with aluminum alloy frames that are black in color, and SS slides which are frosted. The guns have a heavy carry melt treatment, rosewood grips, night sights, front strap checkering, etc.

If you saw one of these for $795, it is indeed a very good price - for any of the 3 barrel lengths they come in (3", 4", 5"). In fact, could it be a used gun? The absolute best price I have seen for a new one is in the high $800's.

By the way - a CQB is, I believe, a Wilson. Could be others too.

Las Vegan Cajun

Kimber CDP

If in fact that is a Kimber CDP, NIB, @ $795 you better grab it fast.

I just paid $890 plus tax for my Kimber CDP and from what I have seen them go for in other stores I believe I got a real bargain.

Every other place in town that I checked wanted anywhere from $920-$1000 plus tax for the same gun.