Kimber UnGlocked me yesterday

MountainGun44

I took my first 1911 type pistol I have owned to the range yesterday- a Kimber Classic Stainless .45 with night sights and rosewood grips.

OH MY GOD!

I fired 250 rounds. Not one failure.

I am amazed by how much better I can shoot this thing. After using my Glock 19 for a long time I have become pretty accurate with it. I was able to shoot my Kimber straight out of the box better than my Glock 19. Better than my two S&W revolvers! The .45 recoil is much more satisfying than the "crack" of 9mm rounds, yet I can keep the sights on target for rapid follow up shots much more easily. Maybe the extra weight helps. It just feels like a dream in my hands.

I am sold on the 1911 design.

MountainGun44

ArmySon-

It was your advice that promted me to go with the Kimber. I asked you for a recommendation for a 1911 for someone who wanted to spend under $1000 to get one and only one 1911.

I am very pleased. Thanks.

I am seriously reconsidering my CCW strategy now. What do you think about the compact Kimbers?

I will do a TFL search, of course, to get people's insight.

J. Parker

MountainGun44; You were amazed how nice "other" pistols can be? It's not hard to become "unGlocked", believe me. Best J. Parker

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
The compacts aren't bad. Kimber's line of CDP's are great packages. For around a thousand dollars, you get a lot of custom features that would normally cost you a bundle more. i.e. 30 lpi checkering, melt down, nice trigger, lightweight frame, night sights, etc.

They are also nice carry guns due to their lightweight frames.

HOWEVER, there's no reason you can't carry your full size Kimber. With the right belt and holster, wearing a full size 1911 is not difficult. It's all in your mindset.

If you choose to go the compact route, you really should consider the lightweight models. If you opt for all steel, Springfield V10's should also be considered. You can also find used Colt LW officers and commanders readily available.

One last thing, if you run across feeding problems, check the magazine first. Kimbers are infamous for providing crappy mags with their guns. If your gun runs smoothly with the factory mags, don't touch a thing.

Let us know what you decide on for a carry gun.

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
I forgot to add, the various compact Kimbers aren't bad. In my personal experiences (myself and friends), we found the blued models much more reliable. My buddies have SS Pro Carrys that jam a lot. However, it was easily fixed by Kimber's warranty.

The Ultra Carry is their smallest 1911. I believe it has a 3" barrel with an officer's frame. The Compact has the commander slide (4" barrel) with officer's frame. The Pro carry has the commander slide with full size frame. All have aluminum frames.

Ultra Carry weight- 25 ozs.
Compact weight- 28 ozs.
Pro Carry- 28 ozs.

There's also the Combat Carry and all steel Compact.

For more info, go to Kimber's Web Site. They can explain the different models way better then I can.

[This message has been edited by ArmySon (edited November 05, 2000).]

ds1973

Stay alive with your 45! Gotta love the 1911 style pistols! :D

------------------
The first step is registration, the second step is confiscation, the final step is subjugation.

JohnDog

MountainGun,

Now that you've have a 1911, find a Browning High Power and shoot it. Give it a try - I think you'll see that that John Browning guy might have known a few things about building pistols.

Don't blame me if you end up owning a High Power.

Have Fun - JohnDog

MountainGun44

I am more inclined to go with my full-size Kimber if it feels right when carried.
I can honestly say that I would choose to be armed with it over anything else at this point. The rosewood grips look incredible on the dull stainless gun. I am sure that

How are the 8-round mags compared to the 7's?

BTW, The first time I shot a high-power was a long time ago. It bit my hand. Probably my fault, but I have not had another chance to try one.

Red Bull

Let us know in a month or so after you carry it and take care of it, etc. ;)

Some people (many people?) do shoot the 1911 trigger much better. It is good that you found what you like. Some people shoot a Glock just as well or better. Different strokes...

Congratulations on your new love!

JohnH

I was pretty smitten by Kimber Custon Classic but I have to admit I shoot my little Glock 26 better, even target shooting out to fifty feet. The Glock just points better and is more accurate in quick combat shooting from low ready. I guess it's a very individual thing. JohnH

WESHOOT2

Mag-Pack or Metalform magazines.
Contact Milt Sparks ( www.miltsparks.com ) for carry leather.
I have found the full-size carries fine (Galco IWB Royal Guard) and I'm 5'9", 180lb.

I have made custom defense ammo for a number of Kimber Ultra Elites; nice guns, but I like the comfort of 'big' (plus it's what I practice with).

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

AndABeer

I hear Sidearmor is gearing up to make kydex holsters for 1911s now. This has me pretty excited as I love their stuff I have for my Glocks.

[This message has been edited by AndABeer (edited November 05, 2000).]

RikWriter

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MountainGun44:
How are the 8-round mags compared to the 7's?
[/quote]

I only use 8 round Wilson Combat mags in my Kimber. They work great, never had a malfunction.

Gonzo_308

I carry My Kimber Ultra CDP everywhere when I'm not on duty. and it's great!

son, the ultra guns have a 3" bbl with the officers frame. as for magazines. I dont play around I spend good money and always received excellent performance from Wilson combat mags. they are by far the best aftermarket mags available. and they stand by their product with a lifetime warranty some people might say $30.00 is too much for a single stack mag but my life is worth it. and I get 8+1 performance with a mag designed for the officers acp.

7th Fleet

Here's another vote for the Kimber and for Wilson mags. When I carry my Kimber on the street as a LEO duty weapon, it has a Wilson mag in it, a great combo.

7th

------------------
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL POLICE, KEEP THEM INDEPENDENT.

Westtexas

For CCW, I carry a Kimber ProCarry SLE. It's all steel, stainless, and I swear this gun is sweeter shooting than my full-size Wilson (nothing wrong with Wison). It's my FAVORITE!!!!!