Kimber UC II recoil springs...

SilentHitz

No problems at all with mine, but I know eventually I'll have to replace it...just want to get some in the parts bin. I have plenty for all my 5", but none for the shortys.

Would like to hear from owners what brands seem to work best, as well as any to steer clear of...thanks in advance.

IdahoG36

I only buy the Kimber factory recoil springs for my Tactical Pro II. Go to Kimber's website. They sell recoil springs in packages of three for around $15.

SilentHitz

Thanks Idaho, might as well stick with factory springs since I've had zero problems. Not sure of rnd. count since I bought it used, so I need one for the range bag too...just in case LOL.

Tuzo

Recoil spring for other than Kimber 1911

My Kimber is a full-size Stainless II with nearly 500 rounds fired. Kimber recommends changing the recoil spring every 1500-1800 rounds. Is this also recommended for other brands of 1911 type pistols?

IdahoG36

Here is a link to all of their manuals that you can download-

http://www.kimberamerica.com/resources/kimber-manuals.php

This is in the manual for the Pro and Ultra sized Kimbers. This shows at what round count the springs should be replaced.-

Compact & Pro Models:
Recoil Spring: .45 ACP & 40 S&W/22 lbs., .38 Super/18 lbs.
CHANGE EVERY 800 rounds.
Firing Pin Spring: HD, CHANGE EVERY 5000 rounds.
Mainspring: 23 lbs., CHANGE EVERY 5000 rounds.
Ultra Carry Models:
Recoil Spring: 18 lbs., CHANGE EVERY 1800 rounds.
Firing Pin Spring: HD, CHANGE EVERY 5000 rounds.
Mainspring: 23 lbs., CHANGE EVERY 5000 rounds.

RECOIL SPRING REPLACEMENT–ULTRA CARRY
The custom shop will replace both springs if you
send in the complete assembly to Yonkers,
however, the double spring assembly is normally
replaced as a complete unit.

This is all that I could find as far as the whole assembly goes. I am not sure about the round count at which it should be replaced though.

Send Kimber an email and ask them. I'm sure that they would be the best source of info as to what round count the whole assembly needs to be replaced.
Here is where you can ask them-
http://www.kimberamerica.com/shop/contact.php

Hope this info was helpful.

Last edited:

Jart

My personal view is that you're way better off just coughing up the 45+ for the complete gizmo.

Back in my UCDP days I tried getting the inner and outer springs from Wolff. Hilarity ensued. Dramatis personae included a bench vise, two vise-grips, a soldering iron, a bottle of red Loctite, a gooseneck magnifier with light, bandages, arbor press, ball of twine, rude language, tuning fork and a small dog that wandered into the scene and immediately panicked.

Perhaps you're less mechanically challenged than I am and will have no issue with dis-re-assembly. Personally, I'd rather try stacking greased BBs.

SilentHitz

tuning fork and a small dog that wandered into the scene and immediately panicked.
I have everything else, how much ya want for the tuning fork and panicking dog?:D Thanks for the input all, I decided to get the whole assembly for the range bag, and the spring set for the parts bin. I can rebuild the stock one, but I wanna do it at the workbench...not in the field or at the range LOL.

And thanks Idaho for the round count info...that's what I was looking for in the search....the failed search that is.:eek:

IdahoG36

No problem. I agree with carrying a whole guide rod assembly in the range bag, and keep the other springs at home. It will save you a lot of time and frustration. Nobody likes springs going airborne at the range.:D