Kimber "tangless" ambi thumb safety...

travelerBT

Hey folks... I just picked up a new kimber desert warrior and it has a thumb safety on it that I have never seen before. It is basically a "tangless" ambi safety. Pretty neat how it works, it has an extended hammer pin, and a grove on the back of the right side of the thumb safety that locks it in place.

My question is... does anyone know where we can buy these aftermarket? I would like to install this system on the rest of my 1911's... just seems like a better system for ambi safeties.

attachment.php

attachment.php

RickB

I think you can get them only from Kimber. In fact, until about a year ago, the only way you could get them was to send your gun to Kimber and have them install it. They are a bit pricey, at about $85. The same basic retention system - hammer pin riding in a groove in the back of the lever - has been used for years by King's Gunworks. Their safety is readily available. What makes the Kimber version superior, in terms of design, is that the hammer pin enters from the bottom and the top is closed, so acting as an overtravel stop. The King's version is open at the top, so torque on the off-side lever goes right to the pin joint. I'm having one of the Kimbers installed on my Springfield hi-cap .45, but don't know when I'll see it.

travelerBT

Thanks Rick...

that is also superior for people like me (i know... not the best technique) that place their thumbs on the right side safety when shooting. I tend to torque out tanged safeties after a while...

Thanks again for the info... I am going to call Kimber and see what they say... I will post their reply back here.

RickB

The part is in their online catalog, so you should be able to order all you want. I'm sure they would still do installation if you want it, but that's a pretty pricey option, when you figure in $80 or more for shipping.