Kimber Pro Carry?

Field-dressed

I've got an opportunity to buy a nice .45.:D I've never owned one before, but I'd like to get one that's fun to blast away with at the range, has decent accuracy, and can be carried concealed. I'm taking a concealed carry class in January. I'm leaning toward the Kimber Pro Carry, which I can get for about $625 in Anchorage. What do you think?

mikey357

If I remember correctly, the Pro Carry has a full-sized frame with a four-inch barrel and has the aluminum frame. I'd suggest that before you spend the bucks you actually FIRE an aluminum-framed .45 auto-some people think the recoil is excessive, while others can't tell any difference between an all-steel gun and the aluminum-alloy framed guns at all!!! BTW, the price certainly sounds reasonable...if it was me, I think I'd consider the Stainless version for the added corrosion resistance....mikey357

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
My only experience with the Pro Carry is with my friend's gun. He bought a stainless steel one and had nothing but jamming problems. After 200 rounds and a trip to Kimber, it still jammed.

He then asked me to help him out. I gave him a Wilson mag to use and poof, no more jams. Now he strictly shoots his Kimber and forgot all about the Glocks.

It's a nice gun. Just watch out for the cheap mags Kimber ships with their 1911's.

Captain Bligh

I have a Kimber Stainless Compact that I like a little better than the Pro Carry because it's an all steel frame.

As for the mags, my Kimber came with a Chip McCormick Shooting Star. It functioned flawlessly. I bought a couple more Kimber mags. that have also worked flawlessly.

I am a very happy camper after about 1000 rounds through the gun.

The Captain

JohnO

Pro Carry

I have a Pro Carry. If you want a light weight carry gun it's not a bad choice. Have had no FTF at all with mine, with either Kimber or Wilson mags. I do use mostly Wilson, though. Only problem I have had has been a failure to extract. Once and a while the empty case will get hung up on the extractor and not eject. Easily taken care of, just haven't gotten around to it yet as it's not my carry gun.

Westtexas

I have a ProCarry SLE. It is the all-stainless steel variant. It is my favorite pistol of all time. I enjoy it more than my Wilson Combat Protector. I cannot overstate how wonderful a gun this Kimber is. Flawless functioning, incredibly accurate, and a true pleasure to shoot. I swear this gun with its coned barrel has less recoil than my 5" Govt. model Wilson. If you have a choice, go with the all-steel variant. I think the aluminum frame guns are fine, but the all-steel frame adds to the durability and control of the gun. If you find a Pro Carry SLE, buy it. You won't regret it.

Rmf33

Field-dressed<p>You might as well ignore recoil while your'e at it. With a proper grip (Weaver) muzzle-flip
and 'recoil' is basically negated. As long as you don't
point the pistol at yourself it can't hurt you :)<p>Bob