Kimber Pro Carry .v. S&W 1911 SC

nate45

I can't tell you which one to pick especially since I have never owned a S&W 1911, but I hear they are very nice.

I like my Pro CDP it has worked flawlessly now for 700+ rounds and is accurate and well made.

Officer's Match

If you're referring to the 4.25" SW, that's one I'd really like to have. I think one of those with a Bobtail mod would be an outstanding pistol, and would probably take it over the Kimber.

katana8869

Based on my experience with the Pro-Carry II I would say buy the S&W. Mine was nothing but trouble from day one. Even sending it back to the "custom shop" didn't resolve all of it's issues.

The gun was a huge disappointment and owning it was an experience that I don't care to repeat.

I bought a full size SA Loaded that I am very happy with, however one of my best friends has a 4.25" S&W 1911 that has been flawless from day 1. If I were in the mood for another 1911, that's were I would look.

SIGLOCKAUR

I had three Kimbers that could not be made to work and keep working even after multiple trips back to Kimer. My S&W 1911 Gunsite had to go back to S&W for service But...
1. ) They paid shipping both ways.
2.) It went back once and as fixed.
3.) CS was excellent. Kimber was a real mixed bag.
4.) Scandium frame is tough and light.
5.) Lifetime warranty compared to Kimbers 1 year warranty.

lev83

Excellent points gentlemen. I have really considered both for some time but had not considered the warranty aspect. S&W it is.

1955pirate

Interesting comments. My own opinion is that S&W makes pretty fine revolvers but I think the quality in the autos is less. I own S&W's, Colts, Ruger and Kimbers. The first three in both revolvers and autos. The Kimbers in 1911's. Never had a problem with any except one of the Rugers. Also have never had occasion to have service or repair done by any of the factories. Fortunately I have access to a very good armorer/gunsmith for any mods or repair. (Need for repairs have been very few)

swedgon

I have the S&W SC. Excellent in every way. Accurate and 100% reliable from the box. I also think it is less expensive than a Kimber CDP pro. The quality, fit and finish is first rate. I'm talking about a gun that I own and not a judgement on a pistol I have never held or shot.

Albert

I can only speak to the quality of the Kimber pro carry II since that is the only one of the thwo that I own.

I can say that the Kimber is as close to a perfect 1911 as they come.

It is one of those guns that performs flawlessly, looks good, and just seems like it is effortless to shoot well. Several hundred rounds through it now and it still looks and shoots like it is brand new. This gun is butter.

I have converted more than one revolver guy after they shot my Kimber and that is the greatest compliment I could ever give an semi-auto pistol.

mini14jac

I chose the Smith.

Got the 4.25" stainless SC before they discontinued them.

I made my decision based on many positive user reviews over a couple of years, and the fact that those guns requiring service were fixed on S&W's dime, in a courteous and timely fashion.

I had originally gotten the full-size stainless SW1911, but I really wanted a gun for CCW.
Just didn't want to spend the $ for the SC.
But, I was so impressed with my first gun, that I soon put the SC on order.

Out of the box, it fed and fired everything I could find.
Brass, aluminum, and Wolf fmj, and two kinds of jhp.
No jams or failures of any kind.

It's light for a .45, but the recoil doesn't seem any different than it was on the steel gun.
My 20 year old daughter would shoot all the ammo that I have if I would let her!