Kimber owners - Firing pin safety issues?

pilpens

I have been reading posts about why the Kimber firing pin safety is bad (improper grip, timing issues, click instead of bang).
I have not had any problems with my two kimbers (9mm, .45) .

Have you experience this problem?

Baphomet

I've read a lot of chatter about potential issues with the firing pin safety ("It could ... !, "It might ... !" et al).

I have yet to read or hear of a single incident where the firing pin safety ACTUALLY caused a problem.

The solution to this non-existent problem, though, appears to be using a Series 70 firing pin in your Kimber if the firing pin block/safety bothers you.

WoofersInc

No issues at all for me.

Remember if it happens one single time you will hear about it on the internet for the next 20 years. Nobody pays attention to the millions of times something didn't happen.

Anything mechanical can and may break. Doesn't matter if that part is in a Ruger, Colt, Springfield Armory, Etc.

I saw a brake rotor break apart and wreck a car once. By internet logic I should never drive a car again because then my brake rotor may break and wreck me also. Kinda silly when you look at it that way isn't it?

pilpens

I sometimes carry my Kimber 1911. I like having the firing pin safety.
I have never had a problem caused by the Kimber firing pin safety.

http://shadowspear.com/vb/showthread...n-Yam&p=328268

"Firing pin safeties typically fall into the Colt Series 80 pattern which are actuated by the trigger (Colt Series 80, Para Ordnance, Sig GSR) and the Swartz style safety which is actuated by the grip safety (Kimber, Smith & Wesson). Of all the firing pin safety mechanisms on the market, the original Colt Series 80 - in a Colt - is the most reliable of them all. The platforms utilizing the Swartz safety are a less than ideal choice across the board due to the inherent reliability problems of the design. The Swartz safety is extremely sensitive to the fit of the grip safety to the frame and the timing of the grip safety's trigger blocking arm. Tolerance issues can also lead to a Swartz safety that will time properly when the grip safety is depressed a certain way, and time differently when depressed a different way. This will typically be a product of loose fit of the grip safety to the frame tangs and/or loose fit of the thumb safety shaft through the grip safety. It is possible to have the grip safety timed such that the trigger will be able to release the sear well before the firing pin safety plunger has been moved far enough to clear the firing pin. Problems with improper timing of the Swartz safeties can lead to a situation where you get a "click" when you wanted a "bang." That's a serious problem. Unless department policy mandates a firing pin safety, I would choose a 1911 without one. It is possible to have a drop safe 1911 without the firing pin safety, and given the potential reliability problems with a poorly executed system, the perceived risk of drop safety is outweighed by the real risk of a failure to fire. "

Slamfire

Not with a Clackamas Kimber. These were series 70 actions. No firing pin safety at all.

ClackamasmarkingsDSCN0755.jpg

jag.a.mohan

I've had dented primers in my Custom II from just dropping the slide on a round. This was high quality ammo on a clean weapon with unworn springs (in other words, no reason it should have happened). Do a little more searching here and on THR and you'll find some similar reports for the Custom II and TLE.

The "why" part is still unanswered for me, although there are varying theories about the weight of the pin vs. the weight of the firing pin spring.

orionengnr

Nine Kimbers so far, two of them pre-Series II (e.g., no Swartz safety)
No problems with any of them, included dented primers...

michael t

Well here one The Swartz safety broke on a friends Kimber was at the range Hes glad, it wasn't when really needed pistol. I doubt he is the only one in America.

rbernie

My very first Kimber Series II, purchased many years ago, had a baulky FPS plunger that would cause the slide to stop just short of going into battery. This occurred immediately out of the box, and the break in period burnished things adequately such that the next 5K plus rounds went off without a hitch.

I've owned more than a handful since then, and had zero FPS issues over tens of thousands of rounds....

riggins_83

Of all the Kimbers I own and have owned with firing pin safeties (Pro Carry II, Stainless II, TLE II) I've yet to have an issue. I think most people who ever ran into such issues were with 1911s using a firing pin safety tied into the trigger not the grip safety.

With a grip safety deactivated firing pin safety you don't run into the timing issues.

I'm not saying it hasn't happened at some point. At some point one has broken.... all just part of being mechanical.

Here's been the trick for me. When putting the slide back on after cleaning the gun, remember to get your hand off the beavertail and be sure the firing pin block on the frame is pushed all the way down. Otherwise you'll wack it with the full force of the slide... which certainly isn't good for it.

Rinspeed

I've read a lot of chatter about potential issues with the firing pin safety ("It could ... !, "It might ... !" et al).

I have yet to read or hear of a single incident where the firing pin safety ACTUALLY caused a problem.

Same here.

DBAR

I have a Stainless II, and it's never given me any trouble with the schwartz. I hear stories, but the stories are usually told by someone that knew someone, that knew someone that had a problem. I've never heard a first hand experience, and I'm at the range twice a week with a lot of people shooting Kimbers, have been for many, many years.

DBAR

troxelj

Kimber firing pin

I just took my new Kimber Custom II out shooting and experienced the firing pin problem three different times today. I aimed, fired, and got a click instead of a bang. The firing pin didn't make strong enough contact. I solved the problem by changing my grip - bringing the thumb under the safety instead of over the top. That helped me push the handle safety in more securely.

But I find it odd that the safety goes in enough to let the trigger pull but not enough for the firing pin to work properly. I'll send the gun back to Kimber and let them fix it. I'm sure they'll take care of the problem.

Jason_G

I sometimes carry my Kimber 1911. I like having the firing pin safety.
I have never had a problem caused by the Kimber firing pin safety.

http://shadowspear.com/vb/showthread...n-Yam&p=328268

"Firing pin safeties typically fall into the Colt Series 80 pattern which are actuated by the trigger (Colt Series 80, Para Ordnance, Sig GSR) and the Swartz style safety which is actuated by the grip safety (Kimber, Smith & Wesson). Of all the firing pin safety mechanisms on the market, the original Colt Series 80 - in a Colt - is the most reliable of them all. The platforms utilizing the Swartz safety are a less than ideal choice across the board due to the inherent reliability problems of the design. The Swartz safety is extremely sensitive to the fit of the grip safety to the frame and the timing of the grip safety's trigger blocking arm. Tolerance issues can also lead to a Swartz safety that will time properly when the grip safety is depressed a certain way, and time differently when depressed a different way. This will typically be a product of loose fit of the grip safety to the frame tangs and/or loose fit of the thumb safety shaft through the grip safety. It is possible to have the grip safety timed such that the trigger will be able to release the sear well before the firing pin safety plunger has been moved far enough to clear the firing pin. Problems with improper timing of the Swartz safeties can lead to a situation where you get a "click" when you wanted a "bang." That's a serious problem. Unless department policy mandates a firing pin safety, I would choose a 1911 without one. It is possible to have a drop safe 1911 without the firing pin safety, and given the potential reliability problems with a poorly executed system, the perceived risk of drop safety is outweighed by the real risk of a failure to fire. "

Kimber uses a Swartz safety, not the Colt Series 80 style.

Jason