Kimber Micro 9 or Sig 938?

Vulcannut

I can’t speak on the SIG but I picked up a SS Micro 9 on Black Friday and have put about 600 rounds through it with no issue. The one thing is they like to run wet like really oiled up. It was new to me having only polymer semi autos. I see folk complaining about them not being reliable but if you treat it like a polymer I can see them having issues. As it stands mine will run anything I throw at it.

It’s a very accurate handgun for how small it is. It’s got some snap but that’s expected. The trigger after a couple of hundred rounds is really nice. It’s a very well made tight little gun. I enjoy it.

Also if you have any issues racking some guns make sure to rack it de cocked. Pulling that hammer back while racking is tough for some. My wife barely can do it but she can rack my shields and other semi autos I have.

David R

She has a micro Carry 380 . I have the P238. We bought her the Kimber because the crimson trace laser grips. The sig feeds a little better, or is not picky about ammo. Kimber looks better.

I wanted a 9mm, so I looked at them all,. Including the new P365. I bought the Kimber because the laser grips. They are not available for the Sig P938.

Either one is great.

Probably 350 or so rounds through my Micro 9. It has broken in and no more glitches.

Last outing, zero malfunctions.

We really like it the safety can be on and rack the slide.

All 3 are accurate.

I did a trigger job on the Sig and the Micro 9. Her Micro carry was fine.

David

The SS one in 9mm. The other one is her 380.
492d47bd28222bd80e04bb8c010f9e13.jpg
eb88d5813841303498a9b536ad1cb86f.jpg
245a35272909e70c837d148e66f81ac9.jpg

Last edited:

gnystrom

Although I am not a fan of small 1911 style pistols, as a Range officer nearly every every customer both men and women that comes in with a Sig 938 seems to shoot it well.
Be careful with the finish of some of these small 1911 style guns. The fancier and more decorated and slicker they get, the more difficult it can become to rack the slide.

Monkey

I shot them both, one after another. The Micro 9 is slightly larger overall and the one I shot had the Crimson Trace grips. I didn't like the way it felt at all. Both my wife and I loved the Sig and found it was more accurate as well. Keep in mind, both guns were rentals.

Damon555

I love my Kimber 1911's......but went with the P938 when it came time to pick one of the little guys. Not sorry I did.....if the shots aren't all in one big hole at 7 yards it's me.....not the gun.

RickB

I wanted the Kimber, though I'll admit it was based almost entirely on its more-1911 appearance than anything I'd read or heard.
A trip to the fun store revealed that none of the Kimbers in the case had ambi safeties, I'm a lefty, so after I added the cost of shipping the gun to Kimber for a fitting, I was looking at a $1000 pocket pistol.
The SIG, with the ambi and night sights, was $700 our the door.
I can't believe there's a market for the EMP or compact 1911s chambered in 9mm, with the appearance of the P938/Micro 9.

scottycoyote

cant speak to the kimber...i looked at it but got a great deal on the sig with a laser and went that route. Sig shoots very nice for a gun so small and light.....i have a keltec pf9 thats just a little smaller and lighter and i hate shooting that thing, the sig handles way better...shoots much like a glock 26 to me

Ibmikey

I have a Kimber Micro .380 Sig P 238 and Sig P239. All three pistols have the same characteristics, great feel—pointing, low recoil, accurate, dependable and easily concealed. The Kimber feels and looks like a baby 1911moreso than the Sigs but the Sigs have night sights and hit where you naturally point, The Sig is often priced less. I am totally at ease with any of the pistols.

David R

Targets from Today with the Micro 9.

10 yards. Some handloads, some Remington 115, 124, and 147.

Over 100 rounds zero malfunctions.
3dbd55c25325f8ff7e5cfdb47b4f01da.jpg
74e91f6383a4a08301794de6ae848ffc.jpg
0a3bd03ec20e502eb9fade2ea776a312.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ibmikey

I have carried one of my 238’s for about seveven years and the finish and night sights were certainly in “very worn” condition. The pistol was one of the first produced and had a safety recall stil effective..Sig sent a shipping label anddwo weeklater I received my pistol (at least the serial number was mine) in absolutely pristine, brand new condition even having new night sights.
That is my Sig experience. I have not had the Kimbers fail so never delt with their CS.

emishi

Suggestion

If you do decide on a SIG, stay with the Kimber magazines as:

1.) The Sig mags are twice the price of a Kimber.

2.) The Sig mags are manufactured to tighter tolerances than the Kimber's, allowing the downward pressure of the follower (plus the curved pinkie extension) to exasperate the accidental magazine drop.

I use Kimber 7 rounders exclusively in my 938's. Prefer the looser fit and the rounded back pinkie extension.

Ibmikey

As far as magazines I have a mixture of fourteen .380 Sig, Colt Mustang and Kimber magazines each of which is totally reliable function wise and drop free just fine. Among the 14 are several extended Sig and Kimber which are preferred for the extra gripping surface they provide. I can tell no difference in the fit and function of the magazines in my three Sigs, Mustang and Kimber micro.
I have also used Star S magazines in the pistols for additional rounds and gripping surface.

dgludwig

She has a micro Carry 380 . I have the P238. We bought her the Kimber because the crimson trace laser grips. The sig feeds a little better, or is not picky about ammo. Kimber looks better.

I'm not sure what this means but if the SIG "feeds a little better" and is not "picky about ammo", that's the one I'd want for a pistol intended for self-defense; no matter how pretty and accurate a less reliable pistol might be. Too, I'd prefer a pistol with a lifetime guarantee as opposed to one that has a one or even a five year warranty.

RickB

"Feeds a little better" suggests that neither feeds especially well.
I have had no feed issues in 1200 rounds with my P938, and I would consider three or four misfeeds to be too many if I couldn't determine the specific cause; three would be a little better than four, I suppose.