Kimber K6s Revolver -- First Impressions Video

Mr.RevolverGuy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Eu2kQn8ME

Eleven months after my wife convinced me to visit the Kimber booth at the 2016 NRA show, I am finally on the range with their Kimber K6s revolver. The CCW world has been void of a 6 shot capacity revolver for a very long time. The last 6 shot CCW revolver was the Colt Detective Special which was discontinued around about 1995 and no one else has attempted this since. Today I fired 75 rounds of ammunition 38spl and 357Magnum through this revolver without any malfunctions. All groups were shot at 20 yards from a sand bag rest and both with 38 and 357 groups were consistent of 3 to 5 inches.

The KimberK6S 4 main features are a concealed carry revolver with 6 shots, adjustable sights, a completely dehorned revolver and the smoothest trigger I have felt on a CCW revolver.

The recoil of the Kimber K6S was actually very manageable. The 6 shot cylinder sports 6 recessed chambers along with flat sides instead of flutes, it has serrated black sights with the rear adjustable for windage. The trigger on the K6S is so smooth I would have thought it was half the trigger weight advertised. My RCBS trigger guage confirmed 8 1/2 pound double action pull. Kimber also changed the cylinder release, instead of the normal forward-sliding cylinder release, the K6s’ is a push button similar to the magazine release on a semi-auto pistol. Kimber also went non traditional on the cylinder, instead of flutes it features flats.

Caliber .357 Magnum
Barrel Length 2″
Overall Length 6.62″
Height 4.46″
Width 1.39″
Weight (unloaded)
1.44 lbs (23 oz)
Sights black pinned front, black dovetail rear
Action double action only
Ammo Capacity 6
Advertised trigger pull weight 9.5-10.5 lbs

Old Stony

Impressive revolver. Looks like Kimber did their homework with this one. I have always had good experiences with Kimber products...their fit and finish seem very good.

Mr.RevolverGuy

So far so good :) Probably the last time I will have it on the range alone, the wife is very particular about me taking her babies to the range without her. This has just totally blown me away , meaning how my wife feels about this revolver. She has never shot anything but semi auto's, her taking to this revolver is just strange.

mk70ss

I have been carrying mine everyday for the last 5 months. Outstanding CCW revolver. Kimber did this one right.

Mr.RevolverGuy

mk70ss,

Curious what holster are you using.

I did find that this revolver fits inside of the holster I carry my J-Frame model 60 in.

That's the one knock I have is lack of accessories which is the norm for a new product like this.

Targa

Nice review! I am a Kimber fan and this revolver certainly has my attention. The price also has my attention, its a little to steep for me.

Mr.RevolverGuy

899MSRP is really steep I beieve it will continue to come down. I got lucky at $689 which is a tad cheaper than the S&W 640Pro. So a good value for me considering the quality.

arquebus357

Very handsome snub nose revolver. But...why blue grips ? Bad choice by Kimber if you ask me. I would need to change. Anything else available ?

Thanks for the entertaining range report

Mr.RevolverGuy

Kimber has now released different versions of the K6s with different grips. It is yet to be seen if they are going to offer these to the general public.

BlackLabsMatter

The price is the only thing that keeps me from buying. Under $700 sounds reasonable but $800? I REALLY want a compact .357 but being the tight-wad I am, it'll likely be a Ruger LCRx.

Kimber really nailed it with these. They showed that a compact .357 can have 6 chambers and a slim(ish) profile and that a snub can and should have a real rear sight.

Like you, I found the trigger to be excellent. Good enough that the shrouded hammer(of which I'm among the few that dislike) to not be so concerning. The use of a Ruger style cylinder release also fit with my preferences.

Never got to shoot one though.

gnystrom

A really great holster specific to the K6S. Very stiff, easy one handed holstering, and fits very close to the body. In fact, it has replaced my IWB holster as it prints less. Matt even formed a area for the cylinder release in the leather..

https://www.mdwhitefieldleather.com/

bb9c218e-2224-439c-b5ee-a742ae5e5048_zpsn8wt9hja.jpg