Kimber Gold Match or Springfield Trophy Match

Timbow

I've pretty much got it narrowed down to these 2 guns for a target/competition 1911. Which would you choose and why? Prices seem to be pretty close. Thanks.

chuckles

I have a Trophy Match and I personally have had poor performance/luck with 2 different Kimbers. (neither was a Gold match). Therefore my vote is for the Springfield Trophy Match. JMHO and as usual, YMMV.:)

Timbow

How is the accuracy and function on your Trophy Match? How are the triggers on them out of the box?

Hunter Customs

Kimber Gold Match or Springfield Trophy Match

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've pretty much got it narrowed down to these 2 guns for a target/competition 1911. Which would you choose and why? Prices seem to be pretty close. Thanks.

If it was my money being spent I would choose the Springfield. The Springfield does not have the firing pin safety system the Kimber has, which is a big plus.
Another concern is, if you ever need any customer service or waranty work Springfield has the best in the business.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

mikejonestkd

Of the two choices the springfield is a great choice, great reliability and much better customer service if there is ever a problem. Another great choice is the Colt special combat Government. Don't forget about the Colt Gold Cup, either a new one or an old one.

Last edited:

Timbow

Thanks for the info guys. If you have any other suggestions I could be persuaded another direction. I'm looking for something with adjustable sights preferably because this will be a range/target/competition only pistol.

Wleoff

I'm trying to make the same decision. Thru a couple of Bullseye buddies, I recently shoot both of them at the range. Both are very accurate and have good triggers. Don't know about long time reliability. I've finally decided on the Springfield because I already have a Mil-Spec and a Loaded. I wouldn't mind having the Kimber either. Gun Digest just released a Shooting Guide to the 1911, by Robert Campbell, that reviews both. Well worth the $19.99 for current gun reviews and ammo recommendations. You can't go wrong with either pistol.

WESHOOT2

both

I personally prefer the Kimber frame.

Both can be superb (or have minor as-new issues).

Buy the one you prefer.

9x19

Between those two, I'd go for the Springfield.

In terms of price, you're really not too far away from a Les Baer pistol... might be worth a look.

Timbow

I've been taking a look at some Dan Wessons today, specifically the Valor. It's a tad more money but would it be a better choice than the previous 2 I listed?

zombieslayer

Absolutely! I have a bobbed Valor. It's my favorite handgun. Ever. Beautiful guns, and solid performing. Definitely worth the extra couple hundred.

Techsan

I have never owned or shot a Kimber or Springfield, but I own a DW CBOB, VBOB and Valor. The VBOB and Valor arrived last week and I'll hit the range for the first time with them this weekend. If you're willing to fork over the additional cash, I think you would be well served to get a DW.

Good luck with the search!

Kreyzhorse

Springfield hands down. My TRP is an outstanding gun; very accurate, reliable and well made. Additionally, they have some of the best customer service in the business.

Kimber's rep on both their guns and customer service is a bit hit or miss.