kimber eclipse ultra/para slim hawg stainless/or springfield ultra compact

lomaxanderson

which of these would you buy with your money and why?...I know I want a smaller 1911 for ccw,after some thought I would prefer all stainless frame and slide (good point PBP,thanks)...3" or 3.5" seems to be a better option than my 5"...how much does the extra 1/2 inch help with velocity..is it worth it or would a commander size do better,but it's closer to a 5"...I hear about the 3" really hurting velocity...Help me make peace in the safe.:cool:..only 1 1911 and it wants to run ammuck and rule the roost but my 2.5" 686 is always ready for a fight...:D

packa45

I have a Springfield Loaded Ultra Compact and I love it. I like a small single stack for carry but I also like some power.....so it's a perfect fit IMO. I've never shot the other two but you do hear a lot of complaints about kimber and para. More so with kimber. Take that for what it's worth though, you don't usually see posts on boards from the thousands that are happy with them. As for barrel length you're gonna get some more velocity and accuracy with the extra .5 inch but you need to weigh that against concealing. Personally I'd get the longest barrel that is still easy to conceal.

I'd tell you to rent them and judge for yourself but I don't know many places that rent those types. Usually just full size 1911s. Just don't buy into the belief that all compact 1911s are unreliable and always will be. That's not true. Buy one, shoot it, and judge for yourself. If it has a hangup chances are a mag or ammo switch will fix it.

cschwanz

I also have a Springfield UC and love it! I haven't shot the other two you mentioned so I cannot compare them.

As for the length difference, the extra .5" will give you a bit more velocity and accuracy and shouldnt be noticable for concealment. How are you planning on carrying? IWB or OWB? if you are plannin IWB, length is even less of an issue and you could probably get away with a commanderr size quite easily. My next 1911 will be either a commander or government size and will be carried IWB.