Kimber Eclipse Pro II is mine now.

FoxtrotRomeo

I just got it today. Been paying it off on layaway. It's mine now. :)

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c302/jollyroger200/?action=view&current=KimberEclipseProII.jpg

Whoever had this thing before me did NOT clean it. Cleaning patches were almost pitch black on the first few patches. They did have the decency to leave a pretty good mag, feeds HPs quite well (7 round metalform mag with a J and J base pad). It also came with an ambidextrous thumb safety (nice to have when you're an ambidextrous shooter like me.).

Last edited by a moderator:

FoxtrotRomeo

Yes it did come with the glorified paper clip :) I also found out a certain size allen wrench can work as well but may take slight modification. nothing a wire cutter can't handle.

The glorified paper clip is now safely in my tool box I have dedicated for firearms maintanance.

She fires about 4 inches too low though. I'm gonna have to fam-fire it and see what happens. Might be the ammo (Seller and Bellot FMJs, I'll have to try other brands and see what happens.)

She'll be one of my carry pistols when my CCW gets here from snail mail. Zero jams thus far. Ran 12 rounds through it (Gotta make that ammo last all month. :) ). It loads FMJs with my 10 round Mec-Gar mags quite well.

I'm spoiled though. I'm used to being surgical with my PT1911 with it's mods. I have to figure this one's personality out as well. I have a feeling I need a lower sight though, same as the PT1911. Good news is after a few mods already, her slide glides on the rails and zero fuss when I load HP rounds.

It's not a cone barrel though. If it is, it's only a slight cone. Barrel is nice and thick and the 22 lb recoil spring makes getting back on target real easy. Felt recoil is next to nothing as far as .45 ACPs go. Despite both a stainless steel frame and slide, I barely give the thing much thought with it being holstered and walking around my house.

Despite the low shooting POI, it's a keeper. A real delight to fire. Once I got it clean and fired it, cleaning is less troublesome, a few patches and you're done.

As for the mods, I noticed some key things needed polishing to work with less friction. Boy was I right. I've never seen a 1911 made that couldn't use the mods. It also made field stripping a lil faster, the slide and frame wanted to fight eachother (some times still do) because they fitted the slide and frame so well. Trigger is perfect and the hammer spring brings the hammer home with a distinct sound of authority. I got what I paid for I think, just gotta see what's up with the low POI.

As for the ditch field stripping. I'm not that worried about it. As it turns out to my surprise, there is one military issued model that has both a full length guide rod and a 4 inch barrel.

It's the old M15 General Officer's pistol made by RIA. Granted it doesn't need a glorified paper clip but improvisation is a key to survival and I can tell I can improvise with the Kimber design if I'm in a pinch.

YZR

That Kimber's a beauty, congrats!
I have an Ultra Raptor II and really like it too!

rtpzwms

You said its hitting below POA but you didn't say what distance from the target. Did it make a nice group 4 inches low? And just a thought for you, before I brought my Kimber home I sent the slide back and had the target rear sight installed. It was back at my FFL shop before my 10 day wait was up. With this added I can adjust POI to match POA at any distance.

Jim243

Congats you got what I think is the best 1911 out there, but I might be a bit bias. Just get some tigger time in and adjust your sight picture.

IMG_1224.jpg

Jim

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Jim243 said:
Congats you got what I think is the best 1911 out there, but I might be a bit bias.

That might be a bit of an exaggeration, but they sure are nice-looking guns.

woodguru

Try Microlon on any 1911 on the slide on all parts that have a metal to metal contact including where the slide rubs the hammer as it goes back. No matter how smooth you already have it it makes the slide feel like it's teflon to teflon surfaces. The force needed to rack the slide goes way down.

FoxtrotRomeo

You said its hitting below POA but you didn't say what distance from the target. Did it make a nice group 4 inches low? And just a thought for you, before I brought my Kimber home I sent the slide back and had the target rear sight installed. It was back at my FFL shop before my 10 day wait was up. With this added I can adjust POI to match POA at any distance.

My estimate was 10 yards out. Yes it was pretty predictable group 4 inches below center of bullseye.

In fairness, I'm 6'0 tall, aiming at a 6'2 6'3 high target (ok so what my sniper buddies taught me is kicking in now [range to target, target elevation, windage, bullet drop and spin drift :)] ), aiming center mass somewhere below 6'0 so center mass is not level with my sight picture. Given that, I may have to compensate anyway as with any low level target (adjust aim up and send it).

Just depends. Like I said, fam fire. :)

Try Microlon on any 1911 on the slide on all parts that have a metal to metal contact including where the slide rubs the hammer as it goes back. No matter how smooth you already have it it makes the slide feel like it's teflon to teflon surfaces. The force needed to rack the slide goes way down.

That's the mod I did more or less. Jeweler's Rouge a polishing wheel and a dremel. If you can't get the rouge off the metal when you're done, Break Free takes it right off when you put the BF on a cloth or patch or in my case a Kleenex.

Sierra hotel, foxtrot romeo
Solid copy Tango Yankee for the compliment.

Last edited:

bac1023

IMHO, but I am bias, thanks

Jim

I'd wouldn't even call them the best Kimber, let alone the best 1911. What are you comparing it to?

Kimber makes the Super Match, which I feel is one of the best production 1911s, anyway.

FoxtrotRomeo

Thanks for all the compliments. I just got my CCW today (By God's good graces I guess they had less paperwork lately.)

So to celebrate I carried the best looking pistol I have, the Kimber there. Despite the weight it carries very well. It was digging in my back while I was driving but I couldn't remove it because my mom didn't know yet that I got the permit today. She didn't even notice, nor did anyone else which is good. I can open carry in this state but I don't want the attention.

Loaded up one of my extra mags and slapped on one of my mag pouches. Went IWB behind the back. BTB is the way to go for me. I sit down to eat and kinna sit further up and if the SHTF I know I can get to it.

I like the weight of this thing. It's not overbearing (Like I know a hip holstered desert eagle would be since I own one.) and it lets me know without bugging me that it's there and I need to watch what I do so I don't attract too much attention. That and it's thin enough that if I get the right shirt, it's pretty much gone. It might print, but barely. If I need to reduce print I can ditch the issued mag (basepad is kinna thick) and grab one of my 8 rounders that has a thinner base pad.

I'll be carrying my XD too. The XD has an OWB speed holster I got from a friend used (fits the XD nice and snug and covers the trigger guard very well) and I picked up a matching mag pouch for it too. (It's a Glock pouch but the XD-40 mags fit very well in it).

I need 2 more XD mags though. I like the ones sent from the factory so I want two more 12 rounders.

1911 mags I'm looking for 2 respectably thin base pads for my 10 round Mec Gar mags.

michael t

Remove your grips yet ? When I removed the grips on my new Eclipse was more rust than a 56 ford in a farmers field.:barf: That and a couple other issues was all for me:mad: I went back to Colt and Dan Wesson.
They do shoot well I give them that.