Kimber barrel problem

Calif Hunter

I was cleaning my brand new Kimber the other night, like the instructions say, before its first trip to the range. I looked down the barrel and saw ripples in bore, on the top under the area of the locking lugs. I showed it to my gunsmith, who advised me not to fire it and to contact Kimber. I called them, and they want the whole gun back.

On another forum, I was told that this has happened to others, who sent the gun back only to have it come back with nothing done. I was also told just to shoot it and see if it matters.

This is kind of disappointing to me, as I always thought Kimber was an "upper class" 1911. My Springfield Loaded has not even hiccuped in a few years and a few thousand rounds. Neither has my Commander, customized by Kings Gunworks.

Should I bother to return the gun to Kimber, or just shoot it first?

spacemanspiff

just to clarify, INSIDE the bore? or on the outside of the barrel?

personally when i buy a new gun i like it to have no flaws.

Fremmer

Too bad about the new gun.

To answer your question: your gunsmith (a gun professional) has advised you not to shoot the gun. Kimber (the manufacturer) has advised you not to shoot the gun. Personally, I'd take the advice of a Smith and the manufacturer -- don't shoot it, send it back to Kimber. Have patience, my friend. You'll get the gun back, and then you can give us a range report!

Calif Hunter

The ripples were inside the bore, almost as if machining the lugs somehow affected the bore. If they were outside, I would be less concerned as long as the gun operated correctly. For a "match grade" barrel,I would not think this is acceptable.

Kimber was not very communicative, actually. They simply said to send the gun back to them. I asked if I could just send the upper assembly (slide, barrel, bushing, etc.) to avoid the hassle of shipping an entire firearm, and they said to send the whole gun. They did not say not to shoot it...just send it back and they will look at it.

Humbled

I just had to send in my wife's ProCarry Kimber on the 11th of November. Got it back last week on the 6th. The ejector block was loose in the frame and it wouldn't lock open on the last round most of the time due to a deep detent worn into the slide stop. I told them it seemed to be shooting a couple inches lower than point of aim and grip safety seemed to have a little slop in it. When I got it back I looked over the invoice and they replaced the front and rear sights, thumb safety, grip safety, slide stop, ejector, recoil springs and looked like they refinished the slide. This is an older series one with many, many rounds through it from us and we bought it used so there is no telling just how many. Many of the rounds I put through it were some pretty hot reloads which may have been the cause of the ejector problem. They didn't charge me a dime other than the cost of shipping it there, and they paid the return shipping. I will be shooting it for the first time tommorrow since getting it back. Sorry to hear of your misfortune, send it back and I'm sure they'll make it right.