Kimber 84M Montana

j.chappell

I would like to hear all the good and bad things about the Kimber 84M Montana.

I have been considering a 257 Roberts in this make and model and would like to hear from anyone with experience with these rifles.

Thanks

J.

jmr40

I've been wanting one for a while and finally sold a few guns I did not use as often to finance one. I bought mine in early January. After getting a scope on it I had only 1 chace to hunt with it before our season ended. I went with the stainless synthetic in 308.

Worknamship is great. Other than the synthetic stock everything is steel. Even the triggerguard. Most lightweight rifles are using plastic and aluminum anywhere they can to cut weight. I really expected a pencil thin barrel like on a Remington mountain rifle, but it is actually a fairly thick barrel. Even with this they managed to make a 5lb. 2oz. rifle. Using a Leupold VX-2 in Talley lightweights the scoped weight is still 5lbs. 15oz.

This is still a work in progress. I have simply not had much time to work with loads and see what it likes. Federal Fusions are giving me sub 1" groups at 100 but I have not been able to get under about 1 1/4" with my reloads yet. I think it has the potential to be a good shooter. It is definately a pleasure to carry.

Savage99

I am a major fan of the Kimber of NY rifles. I have both the Classic and Montana versions. My primary reason for getting the Kimbers is that due to age I really wanted some lighter rifles.

My battery already consisted of some nice rifles including 99's, pre 64 70's and euros.

The Kimbers are go to rifles for me now and even for varminting as the 243 is so light that leaving a bipod on it still does not weigh it down.

The Roberts will fit in the Kimbers magazine which will max. out at about 2.81" for handloads. Thats not long enough to reach the lands but so what. The rifles are nice and include so many features that I want in a hunting rifle such as a M70 type safety, CRF and a well attached bolt handle.

dsc013142ll.jpg

wyobohunter

Great rifle

I went sheep hunting with a friend last year, he has one in .338 Federal. I picked the thing up and, well, as you know it's really light. The thing felt like nothing. After tags were filled and we were waiting on the Supercub we decided to do some shooting. I expected that Kimber to kick the pi$$ out of me. It didn't, and it was darn accurate. I really really wanted one, alas, they don't do lefties:( I ended up with a Tikka which isn't as nice or as light as the Kimber, but it's no heavyweight and it's plenty accurate.

ge515

Kimber 84

I too am considering a m84 and was concerned about pro and con comments on various web site forums. I happened to go Hill Country Rifles web site and was surprised to see a disclaimer saying they would no longer do accuracy jobs on Kimbers. They state that this does not reflect on Kimber quality or something to that effect, but you be the judge. Hill Country of Texas is probably one of the best in the country for doing accuracy jobs and they apparently having a problem getting the Kimbers to group. I'm still on the fence on my decision but sure do love that 84M.

j.chappell

The Roberts will fit in the Kimbers magazine which will max. out at about 2.81" for handloads.

Magazine length was one of my concerns. No real big deal just something that I was thinking about due to the short action.

I happened to go Hill Country Rifles web site and was surprised to see a disclaimer saying they would no longer do accuracy jobs on Kimbers. They state that this does not reflect on Kimber quality or something to that effect, but you be the judge. Hill Country of Texas is probably one of the best in the country for doing accuracy jobs and they apparently having a problem getting the Kimbers to group. I'm still on the fence on my decision but sure do love that 84M.

I wouldn’t in any way let this influence my decision on buying a Kimber or not.

I'm not sure if I want to go with the Kimber or just find an action and go from there.

J.