kimber 3" failure to stay open on last round

drdirk

Maybe one of you 1911 gurus can shed some light on this: I have a Kimber Ultra Carry that functions flawless with my reloads. I usually shoot a light/medium load of 5.2 gr of Win 231 over either a 200 gr SWC or a 230 gr FMJ West coast bullet. So, no problem at all with this load. When shooting FACTORY however (tried Win white box as well as other FMJ stuff) the gun will feed and eject great but will not stay open on the last round. It will cycle fine and even cock the hammer but will not stay open!

I took it apart and cleaned/oiled well. Nothing helped. The magazine lock seems to work when I put in an empty mag. Slide stays open. Have a second Wilson mag and the same thing happens. Geat with reloads, will not stay open with Factory.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this but it seems to be that the lighter reloads should have been more likely to cause this kind of failure?? Could it be the main spring? I heard that they don't last as long on a 3 inch semi. This one is a double spring. I am thinking of replacing it but if the spring was weak, wouldn't one expect it to give problems with the light reloads?

I can always sent it to Kimber but if it is likely the spring I would rather just buy a new one. Any idea who sells one for the small Kimber (besides Kimber of course!).

Thanks for any advice!

darkvibe

Heard of this happening in some others but never hear anyone mention a difference when chaning ammo. They sent the gun back to kimber and had a new slide catch installed to fix the problem.

Pointer

Change the Magazine and try it again...

It is the magazine that actuates the slide retention.

If that doesn't do the trick then follow darkvibe's suggestion. :)

drdirk

same issue with different magazines

I have the same issue with the factory and the Wilson mag. So I don't think it is the magazine here. Last night I ordered a new recoil spring. If this does not work and no other suggestions pop up, I guess I have no choice but to sent it out.
Besides that I love the gun and shoot it better than any other "small" gun!

pdt1793db

Same Problem Different Gun

I have that same problem but with my Sig but my Kimber seems to work fine very few flaws I do get that ocassionally but not that often.