Kimber .22LR conversion break in: Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Chuck Dye

The Kimber .22LR conversion goes on an older Springfield Armory cheapie frame. Any high velocity ammo with bullets less than 40 grains will just not run the gun reliably. Failures run the gamut, failure to extract, stove pipes, slide travel to ejection but not to new round pick up, any or all of the above. Some brands will begin to run OK two to four rounds into the magazine, others are a nuisance from start to finish. High velocity 40 grain rounds are better, but many will not run the gun until the magazine is down two to four rounds. Standard velocity rounds need not apply. The problem seems to be diminishing with use.

Has anyone else had this experience? How many rounds did your conversion need before it began to run well with most HV ammo?

Has anyone any experience with changes to the action which solved the problem without compromising .45 ACP functioning?

(For comparison, I had two Ceiner conversions (a burglar got’em) which ran any high velocity ammo flawlessly from the start (I never tried any standard velocity ammo in either.))

hoytinak

My Kimber .22lr kit ran flawlessly out of the box with any ammo I put through it (mostly Fed. bulk pack and CCI Stingers)...I had it on a Kimber frame but don't think that would make a difference.

shepherddogs

I'm not an expert but it sounds like not enough slide speed. Maybe the recoil spring is too strong. Have you tried greasing the slide rails? I'm about to order one myself.

DanD

I've had one that has been trouble-free when kept clean, used on both a Para Ops and Kimber Eclipse. My buddy has one that has turned into a single-shot using his Kimber Pro Carry aluminum frame (but his slide works well on my Eclipse). I would say keep it lubed, and see if the slide is rubbing on the frame anywhere.

Chuck Dye

Update:

Well, the problem is solved. It apparently took an integrated fix of several hundred additional rounds fired, perhaps two thousand or more manual slide cycles, switching lubrication (lower viscosity), and switching to a 17 pound hammer spring, but the conversion is now running even with hollow points.

9x19

Mine runs good on a diet of Wally-World Federal Bulk packed hollow-points... which I think are listed as 36 grains... but I'm at work and would have to double check to be 100% sure.

Mine came as a complete pistol, so there may a difference in main-spring weights...

I spend more time running the .17HM2 upper with mine though.

KRFT.jpg