Kids better then you?

Mike38

I took my son to a gun show today. We needed a rear sight step ramp for a Remington 514 his Grandfather gave him just before he passed away. We found one, along with a couple boxes of CCI CB Shorts. I slipped the ramp under the rear sight and told him to meet me in the back yard so we can see how it shoots. I placed a Diet Pepsi can out in the field about 30 feet and took a shot. I missed, but not sure where it hit. Took another shot, same thing. I told him we’ll have to set up a paper target and my bench to see where this thing is hitting. He decided that would take too long, and wanted to try his luck. Okay, fine. He shoots and rolls the can. (No freaking way) He hit the red part of the Pepsi red white and blue symbol. I asked him if that was where he was aiming. Sure, he said, you always tell me not to aim at the whole target, but to pick out a small part and aim at that, aim small miss small, right Dad? So he loads another round, and I tell him hit the blue part of the Pepsi symbol. Sure enough, that shot hit smack in the middle of the blue part of the circle. I grabbed the rifle from him and told him that was enough for the day. Damn kid shoots better then I do. This was 8 hours ago and he’s still giving me heck about it. Anyone else have kids that shoot better then they do? I guess we can be proud that we are good teachers?

Pahoo

As a kid, many moons ago, I could outshoot most of my buddies, with open sights. After many birthdays, I find that they don't make these sights like they use to. One of my Grandsons needs glassses and can outshoot me. His little Brother is even better and frankly, I get a big kick out of it. I always acknowledge his skills. Many years from now, they will remember those great days they spent, in the field with their Fathers and Grandfathers.

Our kids are the best work we will ever do, in this life. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

retiredcoasty

Mike, the important thing is that you are teaching your son to have the proper respect for firearms. You helped him to become a good marksman. The fact that he out shoots you with one firearm should make you feel pride. And, if there is one more lesson you should teach your son it should be to respect his elders! He could have missed once, just to show you he could!:D

Puntmefar

Well i havent had my kid out shoot me yet but when I took him to the range for the first time i made a point of showing him safty procedures,operation of the gun,shooting position,and had him load/unload some snap caps before we left the house then off to the range we went with a Howa 30-06 I had at the time, he was 15 or 16 at the time. I sat him down at a rest and got him shooting. The guy next to us mentioned it was good to see a young man shooting responsibly and acurate (even though it was only at 75 yds) I told him it was his first time shooting and the guy got upset told me i was lying and left lol. No im not saying my son is a expert shot he made the normal mistakes jerking the trigger,poor breating controll, and the comical one puting his eye right on the scope the first shot and no I didnt let him get the shot off like that im not gonna have the wife beat me with a bat in my sleep cause I let her baby boy get hurt lol

Pahoo

As mentioned before, I am a Hunter Safety Instructor and usually work the M/L station. Toward the end of our agenda, I load and shoot at a paper target. Did not realize that the students naturally used this as a goal to outshoot the instructor. Mind you now, these are student that have never shot this rifle, let alone an M/L. Boy, you should see them concentrate and light up when they outshoot me. We have a heck of a good time on this portion. Some of them actually want to keep the target. Ya got to love it !!! :)

Be Safe !!!

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I was the kid that out shot the elders in my clan...:D
I cannot remember any family members that could out shoot me from BB guns and rimfire on out to CF rifles and shotguns on stationary targets... I had tons that were super shots on moving targets and wing and clay shooters compared to me...:eek:

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
We have a heck of a good time on this portion. Some of them actually want to keep the target. Ya got to love it !!!

Amen, Pahoo!

When I introduce couples and families to shooting, I'm never surprised to see the Mrs. outshoot the Mr. and kids outshoot the old folks.

I have a hunch it may have something to do with a.) a smaller reserve of assumptions, and b.) a greater willingness to pay attention when the instructor explains how to aim and fire the gun.

langenc

Havent taken the grandson (5 yo) shooting -yet.

I have been beaten (22BR-USBR target) by my wife a majority of friends(?) that I have taken shooting.

S&W-Keeper

My 15 year old grandson shoots almost better than I do. He is just about there.I started him when he was 4 years old.

grymster2007

hogdogs said:
I like that, Brent... the rest of us have a family! :)

My then nine year old daughter out shot me with my wife's Glock first time out. It's downright embarsascin when a kid that age asks you to teach them how to shoot and all you can do is make up stuff about "dang plastic guns" and "mechanical failures" and "bad ammo" and "sticky trigger syndrome". :eek:

TheNatureBoy

I've been working with my daughter for about a year now. I set up a target in the garage, set my pellet rifle up on the table with front and rear rest and let her go at it. To tell you the truth, she is a pretty good shot. I don't force the issue. If she asks to shoot I let her. If not...... Same goes for reloading. In about a year I'm gonna scope a .22 rifle and take her to the range (private) with me.

ammo.crafter

those kids...

it's not even close when my daughter and I shoot shotgun. She hits running rabbits and springing teal (on report) and appears effortlessly, to boot.

She tells me I'm doing it all wrong. Hopefully she'll have time for mthe old man.

shortwave

Son "sandbagged" me

My oldest son and I would often get together and shoot. We would shoot handgun's/long guns in every form. He takes after his grandpa as just having that so called 'natural ability' to shoot.

One area he lacked on was shooting a moving target with a shotgun. Just couldn't beat pops:D.

Well, he hooked up with this girl and as often happens, didn't have near as much time to shoot with 'ole dad' as before. We didn't shoot together for about a year and I really missed the time we spent together.

He called and asked what I was going to get into this weekend and I told him I was going to go shoot some sporting clays. To my amazement, he asked if he could go. I was excited. I got off the phone and thought since we hadn't shot for awhile I'd take it easy on him.

What a suprize! The boy just simply didn't miss:eek:.

Seems as though the dad of boy's now year old girl friend shoots on the pro circuit and has been schooling son for the whole year. Some double stations he shot so fast, I stood in amazement.

I was thankfull he didn't talk to much 'trash'. I did make him buy lunch though:p

I can't hold a candle to him shooting anything now and that tickle's me beyond words.

I' m a shooting instructor...

Pahoo

A special THANKS to you and all the rest of the instructors(girlfriends dads:D) out there taking your time to teach valuable life lesson's.

Last edited:

shortwave

Hogdogs

Gotta daughter of my own.

I've always invited her past/present boyfriends shooting. Kind of 'a male bonding thing' if you will;).

Avenger

My neighbors little girl out shoots me with pellet rifles all the time. She's GOOD with an iron sighted Daisy, but a scoped Gamo makes her a terror. We do aluminum cans laid with the ends facing us, and she centers them 9 out of 10, from about 50 feet.

She's 5.