Kids and firearms...

ChuckC

I find myself in the situation of taking care of 2 nephews and a niece for the rest of the week. Ages range from 9 to 13. I'm thinking of taking them to the range, with my own set of safety rules.

MY Rules are:
1 - only one round at a time.
2 - muzzle must be pointed down range AT ALL TIMES
3 - safety must be on unless firing (even though I lax with this one)

Questions...

Are they too young? My grandfather taught me to shoot at a very early age.
I've never been to the range with them but they all shoot. What should my expectations be?

We'll be shooting .223, 7.62x39, .38, .45 LC and .22 LR.

I don't have kidz and this will be my first time out with crumb crunchers.

Last edited:
G'day, I think you should get a good feel for their understanding about gun safety before you take them. I have fond memories of my uncle letting me use some of his different guns ta that age.

ChuckC

Thanks muchly. The older nephew is already a hunter and has his own single shot rifle, multiple barrels for about 3 or 4 different calibers. I'm not so much worried about him as the other nephew and neice.

My thinking is that I will start them out on the 10/22 and see what happens from there. I do want them all to know how to handle a "high energy" round though.

Last edited:

Foxrr

Chuck, I had the experience for the first time recently. One of my son's stepkids had his first try. 10 year old. We kept him strictly to the .22lr, except for one shot with .223. He was reticent about the centrefire at first, then thrilled when he found it didn't break his shoulder. But otherwise we reckon it's best to take one step at a time. There's a lot to learn.
We worked to the one round at a time rule.
We stick to that when shooting paper (on a farm, not a range), except when firing a string to sight-in.
As well, our rules..
*No-one positioned forward of the shooter.
*Always warn you are about to shoot. We say, loudly "Fire in the hole!":)
* Wear ear protection. Essential for kids.
* Always leave bolt open after the shot, and check empty.
*We use, but never ever rely on safety catches alone when target shooting.
* Remove bolt and point rifle high on shooting stand to go downrange and check/change targets. I slipped the bolt in my pocket when the kid was with us. Trust?? They have to earn it. We never let kids touch the guns unsupervised. They're kept right away from the shooting table when there is a gun there waiting for further use. Kids love to fiddle. When we go downrange and there are no other adults to keep an eye on them, we take 'em downrange with us. It's good exercise. Ideally, get a spotting scope. And hope the weather isn't too hot. Atmospheric shimmer can make spotting harder over even 100 yds.
*We religeously stick to the process of showing condition of firearm before handing it over to another shooter.
*Make sure kids are where you can always see them.

Our kid is a totally inexperienced city kid, so we had to know that his head was in the right place and that he at least had enough maturity not to believe he was playing cowboys and indians. I'd say, don't be too nice if they make a safety mistake. Tell them firmly and forcefully what the implications are...a lifetime of woe if they accidentally, sorry, CARELESSLY hit somebody. No forgiving yourself really.
Was it rewarding? Yes, he seemed rapt. He got around the rules ok and he's not really used to strong discipline. Just a matter of keeping him on the straight and narrow in future. My son and I hunted later with him along and he seemed able to get his head around the exercise. We won't let him hunt until he gets some accuracy and understands the ethics of quick-kill fully.

A couple years ago we had our young granddaughter along to a farm where we'd just hunted foxes. She checked out one of the carcasses and I was concerned she'd be seriously repelled by the act. But she seemed to understand when we told her how the fox can kill any of the cute lambs she was seeing around her.
I can only say that if the kids do seem repelled, they'll probably stay that way. And vice versa. No use pushing it on them. Just try to educate I guess. Bit off topic but one thing leads to another.

globemaster3

Chuck, I admire your willingness to get some of your family members to the range. The big question that pops into my head up front is: is your brother/sister ok with you taking them to the range. They are their kids and not yours, so make sure you have the blessings of the parental unit before doing this.

Really, really, really go over the range safety rules. Your 4 are good, however, look around online for the pamphlets for hunters safety and review them. In depth.

Definitely do a crawl/walk/run regimen. Nothing is worse than a frustrated youngster on the range!!!!

Good luck, and be safe!!!

ChuckC

Thanks much for the replys!!

Fox, notes made, to be sure. Their father is going with us. I think he's even taking his .270 Win mag (which I'd love to fire). I've just finished a full up range safty course with all of them and they all did well.

The youngest is going to spend tomorrow building target stands and rounding up ammo.

Lavid2002

Are they too young? My grandfather taught me to shoot at a very early age.
I've never been to the range with them but they all shoot. What should my expectations be?
Follow through. Kids have a tennancy to shoot and turn and go WOOOO did you see that!
make sure they shoot, clear the firearm, put it on safety, set it down. Then socialize

psyfly

Great way to share time with your young'uns and help them build memories like the ones shared here.

My grandkids are of a similar age and it's great to watch them having fun while they're learning responsibility and safety.

You mentioned five different calibers and I don't know how many firearms.

I would strongly consider one more rule:

Only one firearm at a time accessible and the rest locked away until use.

This one can be relaxed a bit with more demonstrated maturity and responsibility.

You'll all have a great time.

I envy you.

Will

onthejon55

I would first, shoot the gun yourself, then let the oldest one who has a little bit of knowledge shoot second. That way the younger ones know what to expect.

Longrifle48

I shoot the gun.

We shoot the gun.

You shoot the gun.

One round at a time.

With ear protection, and preaching/modeling safety nonstop.

You're building memories that will outlast you.

longranger

Over the past 3 years my son and I have been training my oldest granddaughter(she's 12 now) and her younger sister(9).I had bought a Chimpmunk 22 cal single shot.
It took about 11/2hrs of instruction and safety discussions to get them ready for a public range.The local range has 2 silhouette courses for rimfire,I set them up their and they proceeded to knock over everything they pointed that little rifle at.They took to shooting rifles in away that just amazes me. I/we take them weekly to the range to shoot the oldest has graduated to an adult size rifle.I have my two granddaughters spotting for each other on the silhouette range using a spotting scope and posting their shots on the cork boards.The oldest spots for me at the full size BPCR range and is the best spotter I have had.I shot my best score with her as my spotter!She has learned what M.O.A is,she understands mirage and wind.She has had entire shooting lines stop and watch her and her sister shoot and spot for each other.When I take them or their father all attention is on them,we do not bring rifles for ourselves, it is all about them.Bring snacks and drinks and make it fun.I have never seen either young lady ever mishandle a rifle.The oldest is doing her Hunter Safety class in the next few weeks and will be doing her first Antelope hunt with her own Rem.Mdl 7 in 243 Win.
Now if I can teach them to do their own reloading before their 15 !

ChuckC

I knew this was the right place to ask my question. Thanks very much for all the suggestions!!

Some one ask what I was taking after I mentioned the caliber range. We will have with us...

2 .38 cal revolvers, one snub nose the other with a 6 inch barrel.
1 .45 LC Ruger revolver
1 9 MM S/W semi
1 .22 Ruger MK III
1 10/22
1 SKS, which I reworked from the action up...rebarreled, restocked, teflon, etc.
1 Mini 14, which is my newest and is a hoot to fire.
Plus what ever my brother decides to take.

Yesterday (Wed) the youngest and I went shopping at my favorite gun shop, didn't buy and weapons but did get plenty of ammo. He's just now 9 and you should have seen his eyes when we walked in the door. He's really looking forward to going tomorrow.

Skans

(I'm answering this before reading other's responses)

I would not want to be the only adult supervising a 9 and 13 year old at a public range. Supervising kids while they are shooting takes complete concentration, IMHO. I've taken kids as young as 11 to my range, but they were with a parant, and ONLY ONE KID at a time. It's not so much that the 9 or 13 year old are too young to shoot certain firearms. It's just that I wouldn't be comfortable making sure that both are 100% following all rules at all times while trying to teach kids who have never shot before to shoot.

kids and firearms

I have 14 year old,11 year old and 6year old sons. I take them to the range on a regular basis. My wife is the range master, she watches the others while I instruct them individually. Seems to work. If she or I see anything being done wrong we say "hold fire" and all stop shooting. The same when starting we always say fire in the hole as someone here also stated. It helps to prepare them for the shot/BOOM.
The oldest hunts with me and I have taken all three hunting with me before so they understand what happens when you pull the trigger. Education vs. restriction is a good motto to go by. Let them know that the only dumb question is the one they don't ask.
The main thing is to make it fun for them. My 11 year old loves to shoot my sks :) and puts my 14 year old to shame on the targets :eek: At the rate he is going dads going to have to cheat before to long in order to out shoot him :D and always remember safety, safety, safety.

armsmaster270

Teach them Safety and go for it. My father taught me hip shooting with an old (new then) K-22 masterpiece at the ripe age of six before that I was shooting Grandmas Winchester 22 pump. But supervise closely and one at a time for safety.

ChuckC

Once again, thanks to one and all. My brother, their father, was just here with them for my "draconian" safety briefing, which gets repeated when we get to the range tomorrow. The nephews were really bummed out when I said "NO VIDEO GAMES". I gave them a choice, play games at home or leave the games and focus on what your doing.

I wrote down a vast majority of all the suggestions and worked my way down the list. It only took about 45 minutes.

They all gave me a strange look when I told them that even the slightest violation of MY rules, in any way, sends them to the penalty box...an hour sitting in silence in the gravel in front of the truck. My brother laughed and told them that this was how it was going to be.

Thanks again everyone!