Kershaw Junkyard Dog II?

Boberama

1. What do you think of this knife?

2. What is the best model of the JDII?

3. What other options in the same price range and blade size?

jhansman

You might want to head over to Blade Forums, as they have a dedicated Kershaw forum, and many there own this knife.

Big Bill

If you're going to get one, you might as well get the best one. 1725CB BTW, I've had three and my SILs just keep slobbering over them till they get them as gifts. :D

Last edited:

Boberama

Well, now someone on another site suggested the CRKT M16-14D.

Now I'm torn between the JunkYard Dog II Composite (The one I was going to get) and the M16-14D Tanto.

Any suggestions as to how I should act?

MLeake

Haven't handled the Kershaw, so I have no opinion on it.

A CRKT M16-14T titanium has been one of my most-carried knives since 2003. Holds a good edge, doesn't weigh much but has enough mass in the blade for a good cut, and is pretty easy to open one-handed.

So the Kershaw may be as good, or better, for all I know. But I can recommend the CRKT on its own merits.

Boberama

Thanks Mleake.

I see there is a discontinued model of the -14D in black, the -14M.

Do you know why they discontinued it?

I'd prefer a black version, but I'm worried the black finish may have been inferior.

For some reason the apparently identical -14M also weighs 0.1 oz more.

MLeake

Sorry, I don't know why they discontinued it.

As far as black vs stainless, or any other finish, go with what you like.

The things I liked about the CRKT, aside from edge-holding, weight, and balance, also include the durability and strength of the tanto point, and the serrated rear portion of the blade. (Very handy for instantly severing the twine that bundles hay bales, which is a useful trait around a horse barn; also not bad for cutting a seat belt or safety harness in a wreck - though that hasn't yet come into play.)

Also, the open design of the handle makes it easy to drain water from it, and clean and oil it. So the CRKT is the knife I normally take with me on white-water runs.

Boberama

I just ordered the M16-14D, regardless of the desert finish (which I don't really like).

So thanks for all the responses.