Keltec PLR 16 as CCW Truck Gun (NC)

rantingredneck

I see a lot of posts here and at THR talking about carrying rifles in vehicles for SHTF scenarios and it's got me thinking about my situation.

NC's gun laws are schizo to say the least. I can legally carry a handgun on my person or in my vehicle under my permit, but I cannot carry a rifle or shotgun unless it is unloaded and in a locked case or locked in the trunk.

I drive a 2001 Dodge Ram quad cab. I have no trunk other than a truck toolbox (black plastic, not metal). I don't trust the locks there to contain a long gun for very long. I may be wrong there, but I'm just not comfortable with that idea.

I haven't yet found a lockable container that fits well under the foldup rear seat of my truck. I would need something that would slide in and out easily because I have two child seats in the back on a daily basis. So far no way to legally store a locked rifle back there. Also concerned about it being seen and therefore stolen. In a locked case it is not easily deployable if needed either.

So my thinking has led me to the PLR 16. It's a handgun (by the ATF's definition anyway). I theoretically could put it in an unlocked soft case and be OK. Only place this (or any truck gun) would not be OK is my daughter's school and I've got a solution to that problem already (I don't park on school grounds, mother in law lives across the street. This will work till she goes to middle school in 3 years).

The advantages: 1) effective caliber!, 2) High capacity, 3) takes AR mags, 4) can be accessorized with sights/lights, etc.

The disadvantages: 1) LOUD, or so I've heard, 2) FLAMETHROWER, or so I've seen pictures of, 3) EBR looking, questionable consequences if used defensively 4) EBR looking, questionable consequences if stopped and disclosed to LEO

So am I barking up the wrong tree here? Is there anyway to mitigate the noise and flame of the PLR short of a suppressor? Would NC consider this a handgun and therefore legal for CCW in a vehicle? Would the EBR nature of it be asking for trouble? Should I be looking more toward a cheap milsurp (SKS, Mosin carbine, etc.) to store in my truck box and forget the rest?

Opinions gentlemen? and ladies?

timothy75

I'd go with the sks in the trunk idea myself. I cant imagine where a big bulky handgun would save the day if your carry gun wouldnt. You might want to keep extra mags in your truck. You might also consider getting a full size handgun for the truck that will take very high cap mags like a Glock 17 or M9 (20&30's) you could deploy it in an emergency and you carry gun would become a backup. Good luck

blume357

Here's what I travel with... same ammo (9mm) and same Mags

but then the rifle is customized just slightly. total of 150 rounds of ammo

ruger PC9 & ruger KP95

DSCN9300.jpg

I've gone to packing dot org and re-read the N.C. car carry part and can't figure out why you can't carry a rifle concealed or not in the front of your vehical. Since you say you have a permit then it reads to me like a long gun is no different than a 'short' gun when carried in the front of a car or truck.

TreyNC

I don't know where you are in NC, I am kinda rural yet in a college town and carry a rifle in my truck all the time. I do have to be very carefull about the Blue Ridge PKY, they don't like that!! I have my rifle unloaded behind the seat with ammo in the front seat.

rantingredneck

The problem with rifles in vehicles stems from the fact that NC's CCW law is really a CHP law. It is a concealed HANDGUN permit and there's no provision for carrying anything else concealed "and readily accessible" in your vehicle. It's up to individual interpretation, but that rifle behind your seat may place you in violation of the law even if you have a CHP.

@Blume, I've got a PC9 too and that would be my preference as to concealed carry in my vehicle, but short of locking it in a case or in my toolbox I don't see a way to do that legally. Yes I could carry it unconcealed in the front seat, but that increases the risk of theft.

The reason I'm looking at the PLR is the fact that it's technically a handgun and therefore could ride in a rangebag under my backseat and not ever be in violation of the law as long as I'm not in a no carry zone (schools and such).

blume357

looks like a rifle to me.....

the way I read the exert from packing dot org from some state rep.... it sure looked like long guns went under the same rules as short....but I could be wrong... (was once before) no permit...must be visible and not readily accessable (figure that one out)... with permit can be either visible or concealed...but it concealed the permit holder must be able to keep control of the weapon.... I didn't see anything about unloaded. So where are you folks getting that the rifle must be unloaded when placed behind the seat of the truck?

It's one of the 'problems' I see with trying to be legal. I can't for the life of me see the use of an unloaded gun. I will admit that I don't keep one in the chamber on my PC9... as for my carry handgun... there is always one in the chamber.

rantingredneck

from http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

As of December 1, 1995, certain residents of North Carolina may be eligible to obtain
a permit which would allow them to carry a concealed handgun under certain conditions.
No other weapons can be carried concealed pursuant to such permit.

Maybe my reading of that is too strict.

Also, I could swear there was a change to state law a couple of years ago that had something to do with rifles/shotguns transported in cases having to be locked. Now I'm having trouble finding that. If anybody can find the reference I'd appreciate it.