Keltec PF9 or S&W 642 for IWB?

Sriracha

Hi everyone,

Another quick question for you folks:

Between the Keltec PF-9 and S&W 642, which do you think would be more comfortable for IWB carry? The Keltec is thinner, but it has a long, blocky slide compared to the 642's more curvy, organic shape....

The S&W 642 has the advantage of also fitting in my pocket, whereas the PF-9 was pretty uncomfortable in this position. But I wasn't able to compare the two guns for IWB at the gun store....

Thanks for the advice.

Sriracha

DMZX

The PF-9 is definitely thinner and should be more comfortable on the belt.

I carried my PF-9 in the pocket, sans belt clip, but they were large, baggy pockets.

If comfort is your primary decision criteria, then go with the Kel-Tec. If not, go with the S&W.

tex45acp

I have never carried or owned a 642, but I do own a PF-9 and it is one of the easiest carrying guns I have. Though I carry it in a holster made for another gun periodocally, I mostly pocket carry the gun in a Galco Pocket Holster. I wear dress slacks at the office so IWB is out of the questions. Here is my pocket carry setup.
PF9_PocketHolster.jpg

Creature

There are lots of threads in the forum about the less than spectacular reliability and poor manufacturing quality of Keltecs...never will a Keltec be as reliable as a quality snubby.

I carry a S&W M36 in an IWB holster with great ease.
carry_10.jpg

img_1410.jpg

BigDog

I own a Kel-Tec P32 and a PF9, and both have been flawless out of the box. The PF9 usually rides in my hip pocket, in a pocket holster I got off of *bay.

#1 Moses

I own both but theirs less that can cause a problem with a revolver than a semi-automatic. A revolver you should always get the 2nd 3rd 4th & 5th shot off. a semi-auto well I wonder some times.

silentstorm16

My gut gun is S&W 340pd and use the galco summer comfort can't even tell it's there also a sam andrews pocket holster. My friend has the kel-tec pf-9 with the pocket clip looks nice until you put it in your pocket and the trigger gets caught on something and boom. I'd go with the revolver. god forbid you go for a contact shot and stuff gets caught in the slide and chamber it'll jam. That's why I call it a gut gun.

jon_in_wv

For IWB you can just as easily carry a more serious defensive weapon like a Glock 26/27, M&P Compact, XD compact, etc..... I lost any ability to reason carrying a snub nose long ago. If the guns I mentioned are too large then so is the snubby. If I need something smaller the KT P3AT or Ruger LCP are small enough to make a difference and are great pocket guns.

To me the only real advantage of a snubby is when its carried in a coat pocket. You can carry it practically "in your hand" and at the ready. But short of that circumstance they are not easy to shoot well and most people would be much better armed with a compact 9mm. Even the PF-9 while slimmer than my M&P is not that much smaller that I couldn't carry the M&P with very little effort expended.

silentstorm16

zero i just hope he gets rid of that clip and not his balls lol. Also what jon said I think a semi is a lot harder to handle for some people. I have two semi's love them and my back up gun is a revolver. Think about it you have a lot more malfunctions on a semi failure to feed, double fee, stove pipe, etc. I know there is malfunction drills. So again it goes to practice a revolver heavier trigger pull so you'll need more trigger control but with practice you can master, semi more failures again practice and you can master so just way those factors in.

Last edited:

HammerOfThor

I own both. KelTeks seem very popular for a reason that totally escapes me. I hate the POS and would never under any circumstances use it to protect my life or family. It Fails to feed, the recoil is rediculous, and the trigger pull is about a mile long. I've posted about this pistol many times and always get flamed but I guess an old dog never learns. Thank god I didn't pay for this gun. It was a trade out for some work and I thought it'd be a fun plinker which it is not. Oh' the magazine fall out after every shot unless your pinky is held snug under the mag.

The 642 IS my carry piece. I do not like IWB carry but it's not too bad. I just throw it in my pocket. Recoil is brisk but not like th KT. This little revolver is awesome.

So thats my .02 if I offended sorry but for a personal defense weapon I believe in total and absolute honesty.

Bill DeShivs

Hammerofthor
Your Keltec has a lifetime warranty. Instead of griping about how the gun doesn't work, why don't you send it to Keltec. They will fix it for you.

jc650

I would go with the j -frame. I dont own a KT but Ive handled them and they didnt inspire confidence, at least not in me. The KT just doesnt feel like a quality gun to me. Im not bashing just my opinion. I usually carry a Glock 26 or if I cant pull that off I grab my SW MP 340 which is the airlite J frame. I have 0 trouble carrying the 340 iwb or in a pocket or on an ankle.