Kel Tek Su-16: Military grade?

simonov jr

I've been intrigued by the handy little Su-16 in 5.56 from Kel Tek since it came out. Now they have a Bravo version complete with Picatinny rails and an underfolder stock that doesn't prevent firing when folded (NOT that you'd deliberately fire from that position but it could happen). I seem to have heard that it was something of a hybrid between the M-16 bolt and AK piston-type gas system. Does anyone know if this rifle is anything like as rugged and reliable as the other hi-cap .223 carbines out there, ie up to mil spec standards? Has anyone owned, fired and cleaned the system? I ask about the latter because I would appreciate a system that didn't become an inert plank because the spring shot the wrong pin into your shag carpet while you were cleaning it. Any comments? Also has any LEA or other serious operator tested or adopted the rifle in any of its configurations?

Handy

No. It is made of fairly flimsy plastic. Even HK has problems making plastic bodied rifles for the military.

The bolt/gas system is probably stout enough, but the rest of the gun is pretty Hasbro.

smince

If you can find an article, check out the Keltec "D" Model. 10" barrel and selective-fire. Gary Paul Johnston did a short write-up in a recent "Soldier of Fortune" Magazine.

Crosshair

It beats throwing rocks. :p I can only comment second hand, but from what others have told me, as long as you don't run a truck over it, fire 500 rounds in 15 minutes, or try to beat anyone with it, you should be fine.

OBIWAN

There was a good write up in SWAT as well

Denny is sort of serious...most of the time :D

Not really reviewed as a battle rifle, more as a "truck gun"