Kel-Tec's RFB .308

Skans

I'm intrigued by Kel-Tec's RFD 308. It's a bull-pup .308. I've handled one - it feels quite solid and actually looks better in person than they do on the web. I've read the reviews which are pretty good. It has some features I really like: takes FAL mags; adjustable gas; chrome lined barrel, 18" barrel in a very compact format.

If I can get one for around $1K, I am seriously considering it.

What I would like to know is who has one or has shot one? How's the recoil? Reliability? Ruggedness? Has anyone had a chance to really give one a workout?

Last edited:

ttarp

I had thought it was still in the works, didn't realize it was in the wild yet. Poor DT getting showed up by KT every turn!

dakota.potts

I believe what Skans is talking about is the RFB (Rifle, Forward-Ejecting Bullpup) which has been out and available for several years, although I don't think I've ever seen one for $1,000.

Their other rifle is the RDB (Rifle, downward-ejecting bullpup) which is currently in .223 and is supposed to come out in 6.5 Grendel but as far as I know no mention has been made of converting this rifle to full power cartridges like .308.

All I know about the RFB is I've always wanted to shoot one and they're fairly chunky. Also, very loud in a 10" SBR configuration

Last edited:

ttarp

There has been some talk about a .308 RDB on the bullpup forums for a while now, I don't know how much of that is solid or just wishful thinking though.

I have held an RFB, but never shot one. Supposedly the first generation had some issues which they solved in the current gen, but I don't have any hands on experience with them.

MagnumWill

Kel Tec has a very bad habit of pricing their guns about $400-600 over what people want to pay for them. It takes the enjoyment factor out if for an extra $200 or so can get you the higher tier firearm that they're trying to make, i.e. A 5.56 bullpup from Kel Tec is around 1500 bucks... when I could just go get a Tavor or AUG for $1600-1700. Kind of defeats the purpose.

ttarp

$1,500 is more in line with what the RBF goes for, $1,200 is a more realistic number for the RDB. Heck, one fellow on the bullpup forums was bragging about finding one in a LGS for $1,000.