• Kel Tec SU-16A

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • C.I.I. AMD-65

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BargainPrepper

Kel Tec SU-16A vs Clearview Investments Inc AMD-65

Between those two rifles, which do you feel would make a better all around packable/truck/plinker/WROL/SHTF/getting rid of the coyotes who keep eating our chickens rifle, and why? Thank you all for your input.

Last edited:

Tucker 1371

Since you mentioned coyotes I would definitely go with the Kel Tec in 5.56, flatter trajectory than the AMD in 7.62x39.

Also, for SHTF purposes I would prefer something that fed from an AR15 mag. In my area AR15 Mags are a little easier to come by than AK Mags.

My alternative to the two rifles you suggested would be a 10.5" AR pistol with an arm brace. The reason for that would be that it's still packable, shoots 5.56 and takes AR mags, and parts are readily available. If you check palmetto state armory you should be able to piece one together for not too much more than the cost of the Kel Tec.

Last edited:

DubC-Hicks

When a Palmetto State Armory Melonite mid-length can be assembled right now for $460ish plus tax, it makes no sense to want either of the other two. For the stated purpose, an AR rules.

I like Kel-tecs as fun guns. I don't have a great deal of confidence in their long-term durability or reliability. So out of those two choices, I'd probably lean toward the AMD. But honestly, probably wouldn't go with either given how cheap AR15s are right now.

dakota.potts

Between only the two choices, the AMD. Agree that and AR makes more sense than either though, mostly due to the AMD's ergonomics and less potential to mount an optic

If you like Keltec, have you considered the RDB? Might work a little better for you

turtlehead

No on the Keltec because Keltec and I don't know what that second thing is. So I vote AR.

Gotta go look up that second one now.

rickyrick

I don't buy anything with the words "Investments" or "Holding Company" in the main title of the company.

Weird tic I have about it. To me it seems like "Publisher's Clearinghouse Weaponry Solutions"

rickyrick

If you have no other interest than shooting, can't beat an AR.

Most find interest in different weapons for many different reasons; those are the factors that you must deal with, we can't do that for you.

AR is perfect for all the reasons you listed, you can even have a pistol if you wanted. I see AR pistols for less than AK prices now

Tucker 1371

Well BargainPrepper, you've gotten some advice, how about some feedback? No offense, just curious to know where your decision process is going.

HistoryJunky

If it's something you're going to use to blast things at say 100 yards and under, go with the AMD.

It will be many times more durable than the plastic fantastic Kel-Tec.

What has been said about AR mags being more plentiful is correct, but AK magazines are far from scarce.

I think the AMD would also just be a lot more fun of a gun to own. I own an full size, standard format AK and it is my favorite firearm to shoot.

smee78

Between the two I voted for the AMD-65, yes an AR is a great option also but I like a good intermediate rifle with a little more weighted bullet. I do not like the folding stock on the AMD's, my Rommy with a side folder is not as much fun to shoot from the wire stock but is great due to the reduced size. Good luck with your decision.

Fishbed77

Of the two options, the AMD-65 is the clear choice for the intended use.

These particular Classic Firearms/Clearwater Investments AMD-65s are built on Hungarian FEG receivers and parts kits with a US barrel and will be many times more durable and reliable than the Kel-Tec. The US-made barrel may be the weak link of these particular AMD-65s, but it will likely still far outlast the SU-16.

But yeah - an AR-15 will still be a great, if slightly less compact, option.

BargainPrepper

I'm going with the AMD. For durability, because I've always wanted a compact ak but will never be able to afford an AKS-74U, and because a friend just got a ton of 7.62x39 ammo and AK mags that I'm sure he's looking forward to sharing

Fishbed77

I'd get something of a little better quality if you go the AK route. But ymmv.

Reviews have been quite positive of these Clearwater Investment AMD-65s.

You are basically getting a Hungarian FEG reciever, trunnions, small parts, etc. with good riveting and a new finish. Some may be put off by the US barrel, but reviews have shown these to be accurate rifles, and regardless, they will likely last as long or longer than the Kel-Tec product.