Kel-Tec PMR 30 Review

lanternlad

I picked up a Kel-Tec PMR 30 22 mag last week. I've been looking for a gun that I can shoot on a regular basis. I was in a bad car accident about five years ago and since then shooting takes a terrible toll on my hands. I can get through a mag or two of 9mm, then my hands shake too much to shoot. Good enough for SD, but not regular range time like I used to do. If I want to shoot on the range for a prolonged period, I shoot .22lr/mag.

The first thing that surprised me is how LIGHT it is. I've read the specs, but they just don't really prepare you. Overall, the gun doesn't feel as sturdy a plastic gun as a Glock/XD/M&P does, it feels more to me like a pellet gun. Even my wife was turned off about "how plasticky it felt". I wouldn't use this gun for more than range time. As nice a gun as it is, I wouldn't subject it to any "Glock torture tests", it will surely fail. Based on feeling the gun alone, I almost didn't buy it. It really feels like a toy.

But I had been waiting for this gun for a LOOOOOONG time and I felt I owed it to myself to get it and give it a run through it's paces. I figured I can always sell it if I don't like shooting it. So I took it shooting a few days later. I got set up at the range and began to load the magazines with Hornady Max-V Hi Vel red tip rounds. I'm here to tell you that loading the mags past 20 rounds is a ROYAL PITA. You have to be very careful when you put the mags in, or they will rim lock easily. The mags are all plastic, not metal coated plastic like Glock mags. The feed lips feel as though you could break them if you aren't careful loading. There is no metal reinforcement on the mags anywhere, so be careful with 'em. If you drop one and step on it, that's all she wrote. Kel-Tec recommends rapping the back of the mag every five rounds or so on a table when you load it to settle the bullets inside. I tried both doing and not doing it, didn't seem to make a feeding difference to me either way. The mags are grooved, and fit into grooved slots in the magwell like a puzzle piece, so there is no danger of them shifting and causing a misfire. After getting all 30 rounds in I fired it at a silhouette target placed about 25 yards away.

Wow. I REALLY like shooting this gun.

I had one initial FTE right away, but that was based on my limp wristing. When I corrected my shooting stance I had NO problems with FTE or FTF. I put 30 rounds through it as fast as I could, not really aiming for anything other than C.O.M. At 25 yards, with my bad hand, I perforated an area about the size of a large pizza box all inside the kill zone in about 7 seconds. Now just so you know, I hadn't cleaned this gun, it went straight from the box to the range. The gun is accurate and the small caliber allows for very easy follow up shots on target. I repeated this with 30gr CCI Maxi Mags FMJ, 30gr Winchester Super X FMJ, and Federal Game Shok 50 gr.

Then I got a kaboom.

Or what I though was a kaboom. There was a small explosion in the gun when I fired the 20th Fed Game Shok. Something powdery stung my hand hand something hard bounced off my shooting glasses.

It was a squib load. The back end of the round had blown off the case and hit my glasses. The powdery thing that struck my hand turned out to be the fragments of the plastic slide stop button on the gun. The slide stop still works, its just had to access the internal lever without that button sticking out. I'm sure Kel-tec will fix it. Other than the case lodged in the barrel there was no damage to the gun that I could tell. So I took it home and stripped it and cleaned it.

OMG. Now we get to the other PITA about this gun. Field stripping it. Not something you'd want to do in the field if you ask me. A lot of little parts to lose and a precise way of reassembly would make it too troublesome for field work/hunting/hiking, IMO. I can't really explain it, so I'll let you look at this and judge for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5_sX9GFgSY

All in all, I really like this gun. For a range toy. Or for SD if nothing else is handy. It was reliable with the 120 rounds I put through it, so I wouldn't have any problem using it for defense. I keep it on my nightstand. 30 rounds of .22 mag seems like the perfect choice when you get woken up in the middle of the night and have to deal with multiple intruders with a groggy head. I stoked it with Maxi Mag Hi Vels, put a laser/light on it and I'm ready to rock. But your situation may vary. Would I carry it? No. A little too big, difficult to conceal unless a holster was made especially for it. Also I'm afraid it just wouldn't make it out in the real world defensive-wise. I'm speaking of the gun itself, not the caliber. The gun just feels like a toy to me, so that's how I'm going to use it. It would be like trying to drive cross country on a four-wheel ATV. Could you do it? Yes. But there are much better ways of accomplishing the same task. Would I recommend it? Definitely. It's a really fun range toy and the looks you get as you just keep firing round after round after round when everyone else on the line has reloaded twice is priceless.

It was a squib load. The back end of the round had blown off the case and hit my glasses
What you're describing sounds like a case-head separation, not a squib load. It'll happen, albeit rarely, with rimfires. I'd give Federal a call since it was relatively high-end factory ammunition.

If it was a squib, check your barrel very closely for any bulges.

Stevie-Ray

If it was a squib, check your barrel very closely for any bulges.
And call KT about a stronger recoil spring. A squib shouldn't have cycled the action. Another little safety tidbit about autos.

lanternlad

I'm guessing it might have been a separation, like you said. I re-checked the barrel and didn't see any damage to it. In all the gun handled the kB pretty well except for the slide stop piece.

As for the muzzle flash and noise...

Oh yeah. It was there. A guy at the next table was shooting a Colt 1911 in .45acp and mine sounded just as loud as his. Seeing as this is a 4.5 inch barrel and not a rifle, it made pretty good size fireballs too. :D

FrankenMauser

You're likely to see more muzzle flash with Winchester loads than CCI.
CCI considers the .22 WMR to be a pistol cartridge, and has optimized most loads for 6"-10" barrels.
Winchester considers the .22 WMR to be a rifle (carbine) cartridge, and has optimized most loads for 16"-18" barrels (but uses fairly fast powders).

It may also be useful to know that CCI loads more than 70% of the .22 WMR ammo on the market. They load their own brand name, Remington Accutips, all Hornady loads, all Federal loads, and several other less common brand names. In the world of .22 WMR, almost everything in the U.S. is made by three companies: #1 CCI. #2 ArmsCor (the Fiocchi brand is most common {and also considers .22 WMR to be a rifle cartridge}). #3 Winchester.

lanternlad

That's good to know about the ammo. I know that Kel Tec recommends CCI Maxi Mags for this gun, and expressly warns away from using Armscor/Fiocchi in it. I had no problems with the Winchester Super X I tried.

Bill DeShivs

"And call KT about a stronger recoil spring. A squib shouldn't have cycled the action. Another little safety tidbit about autos."

I doubt it was a squib load, but- assuming it was, they will cycle an action. I had a Llama .22 that I was test firing, rapid fire. Before I could get off the trigger, 2 more rounds had been fired. Remember-the bullet doesn't leave the barrel, and ALL the gases force the slide back, rather than some.
Why does everyone think stronger springs are the answer to everything? I'm sure Keltec put a lot of time, effort, and money into optimizing the spring rate for this gun!

Sevens

You guys are using the term "case head separation" which may even be descriptively correct, but I think it's the wrong term to use in this case.

Case head separation is a term handloader use to describe bottle neck rifle brass that's been loaded one more time than it should have been and the body of the case (near the head) has stretched to the point where it physically tears... either partially around the circumference of the case, or completely, popping a small head head free of the chamber and leaving the rest of the spent cartridge case lodged in there.

A case head separation in bottle neck rifle brass is serious business and should be avoided. There are many ways to avoid them, most of which center around inspection of your brass before you reload it.

In this case, what most likely happened in this PMR-30 was an out of battery firing. It looks for all the work as though a .22 Mag round was discharged without the bolt being in complete lockup. It either didn't shut all the way (and still discharged) or it managed to unlock too early in the firing process.

It's the textbook method for blowing the case head apart on any rimfire. Anyone who has put a lot of rounds through a cheap pot metal rimfire (such as a Jennings or Jimenez) has likely seen the shrapnel and had the noticeable powder burns and accompanied filth on their shooting hand when it happens.

Rimfire cartridges by their very design are horribly weak in the case head when compared to ANY center fire of any vintage in any caliber, rifle or pistol. It's weak in the case head and designed as such so that anywhere it takes a hit along the rim will be plenty to discharge the priming compound and fire the round.

While no firearm should EVER fire out of battery, the margin of error for a rimfire to do this safely is so much less than any centerfire.

Were the pistol mine, I would see if it's possible to dry-fire the pistol with the slide pulled back ever so slightly. It's either a malfunction or a design flaw if you can make the pistol dry fire and drop that firing pin if the chamber isn't 100% sealed off.

It's also quite dangerous and is one of the most obvious bits of evidence why shooting glasses are an absolute must, IMO.

It looks for all the work as though a .22 Mag round was discharged without the bolt being in complete lockup. It either didn't shut all the way (and still discharged) or it managed to unlock too early in the firing process.
That might be it. I had an Automag that did it a couple of times. The running consensus was that long cartridges filled with slow-burning powder were a bad match for automatic pistols.

When the PMR-30 was announced, I was curious to see if they'd found a way around the issue.

Stevie-Ray

Why does everyone think stronger springs are the answer to everything? I'm sure Keltec put a lot of time, effort, and money into optimizing the spring rate for this gun!
Cool down, Bill, nobody said anything about it being the answer for everything. Your squib load that cycled your action is one out of a million that would. The fact remains that the vast majority of squib loads will not cycle a properly springed action, ending the cycle and making the auto more inherently safe than a rapidly-fired revolver. In fact the majority of squibs are primer only-no powder. I had to keep an eye on my Mark IV in my IPSC prep days, as I had 4 or 5 recoil springs for different loads and I did all my own loading. Too heavy a load on too light a spring and a squib just might cycle it. Fortunately I never had squibs.

lanternlad

Update:
Called Kel-Tec, told them what happened. The lady on the phone was very courteous and tried to understand what had happened, but it was obvious she wasn't an engineer. She got ahold of one while I was on the phone and told him what I believed happened. They agreed that regardless of ammo fault or gun fault that it should be looked at by one of their engineers to assess for safe use and to make sure no damage had happened to the barrel. They sent me a pre-paid UPS tag an I'll be sending it out in the morning. They estimated a two week turnaround time. I'll let you know what happens when I get it back.

lanternlad

Update: Got the gun back from Kel-Tec in about 1 week. They installed a new barrel, and checked it out for safety sake. Everything seems just fine, can't wait to shoot it again.