Kel Tec P/11-P/40?

FLA2760

Hi Everyone
I am thinking of getting a Kel Tec P/11 (9mm) just because I want another handgun and the price seems good. Anyone have one? Is it reliable? what about the .40 cal. conversion? Thank You.
Steve :D

Javelin Man

P11

I have enjoyed my P11 since I got it last year. I've put over 400 rounds through it which isn't much for most of you, but a good start for me. It's been reliable and shoots accurately. WWB ammo gives it fits for some reason, but it doesn't fail to feed any hollow points I give it. I didn't have to polish it like I did my P32, but I did anyway. No difference as it was already doing well.

They now have 12 round flush fit magazines which are great! You can also use S&W magazines, but factory only are assured of working. Other off-brands may or may not work as the taper of the shoulder may be different.

I installed a Hogue Jr. grip on it and a strip of padded tennis racket grip on the backstrap to take some of the recoil off my hand. It works very well.

CajunBass

I've been pleased with my P-11. I've 600? 700 rounds through it now, and it works. I stick with the 10 round magazines, and haven't been disapointed at all.

I've never shot a P-40, but the 9mm has a pretty decent kick. I think the P-40 would be a real handful.

alamo

I like mine a lot, never a single problem. The trigger isn't for everyone though, it take some practice to get used to. It wasn't designed as a plinker to shoot for fun though.

Lucky 7

You wont find the .40 anymore. It was discontinued a while ago. The trig is like a DAO revolver (long and stacked). Reliablity is okay with factory mags just dont use SW 69xx or 59xx series mags. The springs are weak and wont engage the slide stop on the last round. The sights are there...barely. But they are useable to 10 yds or so.
Definatley a semiauto belly gun. Light and "full-powered" rounds in a lil' package.
My mom carries hers day in and day out and doesnt complain a bit..she knows the limits of the lil gun.

Semper Fi!
-L7

chris in va

No problems with mine either, and I got it on consignment. Did the 'fluff-n-buff' and no feeding issues with FMJ or JHP.

Now before you run out to get one, keep in mind the recoil is somewhat more than comfortable. Quick follow up shots would be pretty tough, especially with that loooooong trigger pull. Don't expect accuracy to be any more than you throwing a rock at 20 yards.

But considering how small/flat it is, I can overlook those quirks. :cool:

BobK

Stay away from the 40. The P-11 is ok but you can do better. Although it's more expensive, I like my Kahr P9 much better. The Kel Tec P40 I used to have was the worst gun I ever owned.

Had a P-11 once upon a time. Traded it off after it physically b-r-o-k-e three times. The last time, Kel-Tec replaced it with a brand new gun with my old SN#, but I just couldn't bring myself to trust it. Plus the trigger pull makes it very difficult to shoot well.

Got the P-40 conversion kit, too, but Kel-Tec finally bought it back after three trips to the factory couldn't get it to feed a full magazine reliably.

Others swear by their P11s/P40s. I swore at mine.