Kel-Tec options

branrot

I finally broke down today and bought a Kel-Tec P-11 with the standard finish. 219 plus tax at the gun show, if you were wondering.

Anyway, my question is how does the 9mm compare to the .40, and how does the basic finish compare to the parkerized or stainless(?) finish?

Finally, what's the standard magazine capacity of the .40, and is 10 round mag on the 9mm a full sized mag, or is it chopped down to comply with the 10 round limit?

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I do not think that they offer parkerized or stainless anymore, only blue or chromed. I'd go for chromed (and I did, a P11) although my blue P32 has yet to show any signs of rust. 10-rd mag is full-size (holds 9 rounds in .40, I think) and of very high quality.

alamo

the parkerized is still made. i bought one a few months ago. haven't had any rust problems. supposedly more durable than blue but i really can't tell the difference from by blue P-32s. you can send your slide to kel-tec and have it chromed for around $20. a gunsmith (jack fusalier) on the kel-tec owners group website will nickel plate it for about the same cost. he does VERY good work according to satisfied customers. www.ktog.org
check out the "tec works" section for modifications and lubrication recommendations and illustrated "fluff & buff". i did several of the recommendations myself and i am certainly a real novice at this, really learned a lot. get on the e-groups message posting for technical assistance from some guys that really know their kel-tecs. they have been extremely helpful to me.
you need to go to the kel-tec company website and check out the accessories. you'll want to get an extra magazine and trigger shoe (a good investment) and the grip extender which i really like, you can get your pinkie around it that way. www.kel-tec.com
order everything at once as they charge $4.25 shipping for every order.
the P-11 will accept S&W 15 and 12 (or is it 13?) round magazines in addition to the standard 10 rounder it comes with.
get some snap caps and practice before you go to the range. the trigger is probably very different from what you're used to. i recommend doing the fluff & buff and greasing the appropriate spots (see the "tec works" section) before you go to the range.

KelTeKee

P11 is about a half inch shorter in slide length. Thin barrel on the p40. OK accuracy. P11 is easier for me to shoot. I use the p40 +1 mag extension to get a better grip on the pistol. I use the hogue slip on as well. I did the Jack Fuselier nickel and it was fine! Satin nickel finish and just a sweet combo with the black handle. I want the grey one as well. I'm having the p11 parkerized and the gunsmith said it is not as durable as the nickel. Enjoy the p11, it's a fine machine.

branrot

When I was looking, I did see a .40 in the parkerized finish. It looked about the same as the basic blue, but was 20 bucks more. The guys at the show said the parkerized didn't do much good, but that may have been because they didn't have one and were trying to push the blue!

wakal

A bit off the topic of metal finishes, but here is what some free time can do to a P40.

This is a P11 grip (the only one they still make in gray) with the P11 nomenclature removed, the molded checkering removed and skateboard tape recessed on the grip and frontstrap. Don't know what the white spot is...still figuring out this digital camera. Sigh.

keltec.jpg

[This message has been edited by wakal (edited June 26, 2000).]

KelTeKee

Wakal--Nice picture...I'm kinda new to this, how do you post a picture...i'd like to show mine too :) I'm waiting for my slide to come back parkerized...I melted the slide a bit to smooth things out.

wakal

It is a secret.

If I told you, I'd have to make you duct tape over your keyboard so you couldn't tell anyone else...

Yeah, a great secret...protected as well as Los Alamos hard drives... :)

Anyway, when you are posting a reply, look on the left side of the screen for the line "UBB Code is ON". It should be blue (a link). That will bring up another window with a list of examples...look for "Posting An Image" about 3/4 of the way down.

This board is kind of weird (for those of us used to HTML coding), but it works...and if it doesn't, you can go back into your post and try to fix it...

Good luck,
Alex