Kel-tec GEN2 Sub 2000 9mm

Hunter2678

Anyone got one? If so how do you like it so far?

Ive been looking hard at one for a handi-backpack-truck rifle. Got one lined up for 450$ locally NIB. Figured since Im sitting on a a good bit of 9mm ammo this would be a great vehicle to use it through. Also can the trigger be easily accessed to work on?
thanks

smee78

I have been on the hunt for a sub 2000 on and off again but never seem to find them for a reasonable price. Now that the new gen2 is coming on line I think I will hold out to get one of these, they look like they made some nice changes.

Hunter2678

I saw a few on gunbroker for $439 +$25 shipping over the weekend...didnt last too long either. Im picking one up next week..

mellow_c

I'm not sure about working on the trigger. I have a 1st gen and the trigger is perfectly fine for me.

I didn't know they were coming out with a 2nd gen till I read this thread.

It looks like the improvements are all ergonomic or accessory related.

Mine had some reliability issues when I first got it. Empty cases would not eject all the way and were frequently jamming things up. I sent it back. It's pretty good now but still has the occasional jam.

I've got mine sorted out regarding any shortcomings. I added a tinny bit of rail that you could order from kel tech to add a light/laser combo to the front end. Problem is it was so offline from the point of impact that I couldn't line up the laser and even the light was so far off that I couldn't justify using it. So I ended up using it as a sling attachment point and I'm very happy with it.

I also added a new aftermarket front sight that has been on point, rugged, and secure since the day I installed it.

I figure if I shoot it more the recoil spring will loosen up a bit and the gun will generally break in a bit more, and I hope as a result it's reliability will be virtually 100%.

I'm very happy with my glock magazine 9mm 1st gen Sub 2000. I think I paid right at $300 back then.

Now that I've seen what the new ones include, I have no interest in swapping out my 1st gen for a 2nd gen. But for a new comer, I'd say go for it! They are great little guns.

Hunter2678

Just got my Gen 2 this weekend...first impressions..I really like the new polymer compared to the gen1, its much stiffer and there is absolutely no flex in the grip. Just a more solid feel overall front to back. As for the grip its much more ergonomic and feels very slick compared to the gen1 and the fore-end feels alot more precise with the new smaller sized pic rail. The upgraded front metal (AR post) sight is solid and much better than the gen1. The adjustable rear buttstock is also nicer and allowed me a good fit once I adjusted it to my preferred LOP. The big thing for me is the enlarged ejection port over the gen1 version, 40% larger to be exact. As such, the gun happily ate everything I fed it from 115s to 147s without a hiccup yesterday.
The things I hate are the trigger and mag release. The trigger has way too much flex for my taste and there is some noticeable creep. However it breaks crisply and consistently. The mag release is too skinny as well, should be more substantial in size. Overall its a pretty good little carbine and worth the 450$ I paid for it IMO.

Attachments

• 20150919_114727.jpeg
    20150919_114727.jpeg
    215.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

mellow_c

Cool! I didn't realize they enlarged the ejection port! I bet that helps with reliability quite a bit. I guess that could give someone like me enough of a reason to trade my old gen one in for a new 2nd gen.

I need to get mine out and put another 300 - 500 rounds through it to see how she does.

Congrats on the new rifle Hunter :)

MarkCO

I got one several months ago. Glock magazine version. I hope to have the M&P version by the end of the year.

Anyway, I have shot well over 3,000 rounds through it, shot it in matches, at night, just about everything except real cold. It has never had a single miss-step. I have shot from 80 grain through 160s grains and 800 fps through 1800 fps. I am fairly impressed with it and the upgrades are certainly worthwhile.

I am hoping that someone comes out with a metal trigger for it as well as a sight module that replaces the rear sight. Tandemkross already has some upgrades for it, but not what I am looking for. Even though I did not particularly like the sights, they worked well and I was able to be plenty accurate with them.

Mine does have a CTC railmaster pro light/laser combo and a suppressor on it, however, I have put a lot of rounds through it in a variety of configurations. Durable, reliable and inexpensive.

Attachments

• KTSub2000G2.jpg
    KTSub2000G2.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 36

MarkCO

It is a SWR Trident 9. Not what I would choose today, but the tax stamp kind of locks you in. There are better ones out now for about the same $.

JeepermanTCM

I bought mine at the height of the gun/ammo scare. So there's no way I could EVER get what I paid for it. But, that being said, we all LOVE shooting this little gun! I mounted a short rail on the barrel and trimmed the hand guards and have a cheap Walmart Red Dot that I can remove for folding. Lock it down and can hit golf balls @ 100yds. My cousin is a shooter, and he even had a blast with it. I'm really interested in the Gen 2.....but he thinks the way I've got this one set up will prove to be more accurate than the forend rail.

Dragonflydf

I have a Glock version and it has been fun to shoot and is more than able to reach out, I was able to ring the large gongs, about the size of the 9ring of the 200 yrd target, at 200yrds with no problems. While it is no match rifle, it is more than able to do minute of bad guy and the nicest part is when it is folded up, it fits in the door pocket of my truck.