Kel-Tec & Bersa

sectshun8

Been looking at a few of these at the local shop... these two brands seem to be the cheapest. I'm not looking for anything special, just a cheap 9, maybe a .45.... anybody yay or nay on anything from these makers?

Last edited:

jakeswensonmt

I just did the same thing a few days ago, looked at Kel Tec's and Bersa's, and liked them both. Ended up with a Kel Tec P11 (9mm) Although definitely prettier and finished much better, the Bersa's were considerably more expensive, like 50%+ more for comparable models. The Bersa's were also bigger, and heavier. The Kel Tec is compatible with S+W mags in 12 and 15 rounds. What sold me on the P11 was the low price, extreme smallness, and 10+1 of 9mm. The Kel Tec PF-9 is a single stack auto evolved from the P11, and is the same size as the P11, and incredibly slim, but too slim for my paws.

The P11 is a handful to fire. Then again, any 9mm this small will be a handful. The DAO trigger will take some getting used to.

I'm not sure that I could have gone wrong on this decision, as I also read such great reviews about the Bersa's. It just came down to comparing feature preferences.

ooreach

ASKED MY firing range instructor about kel tec and only thing he mentioned is that there only rated for 6000 rounds. Now for normal people thats just fine, but thats why you can't rent them on most ranges because they don't last long like that.

kristop64089

I have had my experience with Kel-tec, and it was ok. I had a P-11 which was just to brutal for me to shoot accurately. With that being said it was a decent gun. No resale, with a weak finish, ended up selling to my brother.

On the other hand I have two Bersa's. the .380 fit is good, but the finish leaves a little to be desired. I also have a Thunder 9mm(recieved in trade). This is a totally different gun then the smaller .380. The fit and finish is superb (especially for a gun in this $ range) Both guns are accurate as any I have seen/shot.

If I had to do it all over again I'd still go Bersa. I have many different makes of pistols, and dollar for dollar these guns are as good as some of there pricier counter parts.

Bill DeShivs

A well cared for Keltec will last a lot longer than 6000 rounds!
I have 8 or 9 of them here, one with 5000+ rounds and it shows no sign of undue wear.

hoytinak

I carry a Kel-Tec PF9 and my sister carries a Bersa Thunder CC .380. Both have been 100% reliable. Both are really good bargains.

sectshun8

Hmm... interesting... so all in all I really couldn't make a "bad" decision between the two. Hell, with the prices, I may be able to grab one of each for just about $500.... might do that. Thanks everyone!

michael t

ASKED MY firing range instructor about kel tec and only thing he mentioned is that there only rated for 6000 rounds. Now for normal people thats just fine, but thats why you can't rent them on most ranges because they don't last long like that.

It has a life time warrenty. Wear it out and they will rebuild or replace. So 6000 means nothing Buy a KT and don't worry about 6000 round crap.

SpectreBlofeld

I once owned a Kel-Tec p-11 with the carry clip on the side (built-in holster!).... I sold it to justify purchasing a CZ P-01 and now greatly regret it. (Don't regret buying the CZ, just selling the p11.)

The Kel-Tec is a fantastic shorter-range "gut gun" that absolutely vanishes while being carried, which is the thing I miss most about it. If you get one, grab the carry clip. It's only twelve bucks and eliminates any added bulk from a holster, but does not interfere with the use of one if you prefer it.

Also, it employs the use of S&W magazines which means extra mags are cheap and plentiful. That's a smart move that Kel-Tec has made in most of their 9mm and up guns; almost all of the handgun caliber weapons they sell use S&W, Glock, or even Sig magazines, while their rifles use AR-15 and FN-FAL mags. I have a feeling that this is because they hope to capture some of the law enforcement market for backup gun/trunk gun sales. Very smart.

That also means that if you get the p-11, you could also get a Sub-2000 folding carbine (great, fun gun) and share magazines between the two! Just make sure you get the S&W version, if you do that.

That said, I presently also own a Bersa Thunder .380 that is also very easy to carry, and easier to shoot comfortably than the p11 (due to smaller bullets and single action capability). But it's a single-stack weapon that only holds 7+1 rounds of .380 acp - the CZ-83, *another* gun I have seller's remorse for, has 12(+1)-round .380 acp magazines available and it's only a tiny bit larger - in width, due to the double-stacked magazine. And it was by far the easiest handgun to fire accurately that I've owned, to boot.

Choices, choices! I've probably just murkied the waters for you even more. :)

chris in va

Yup, the P11 just disappears either in a pocket or IWB using the clip.

But it's not really a 'range gun' any more than a derringer is. Shoot it some, use it for CC.

The Bersa is larger and heavier. I'd be much more willing to shoot that at the range.

Shamalama

I carry a Kel-Tec PF-9 (9mm) in my front pants pocket every time I leave the house. So far she's got around 400 rounds through her with practically no problems.

MJZZZ

I bought a PF 9 2 weeks ago, 1 range session and it's broken and back at Kel Tec right now. I really want the gun to be reliable, but if it fails again I'm going to ask for my money back. Mike