Keeping Handgun In Vehicle???

Jack_Bauer24

I have been carrying my subcompact handgun in my vehicle for some time and will leave it in there while at work as I can't have a handgun there. My question is keeping it in the vehicle during hot and cold days how does this effect the ammunition?

renegadebuck

Unless it's a rimfire gun, it shouldn't make much difference. I would rotate it every 6 months at least. You should shoot it more than that to stay accurate with it, but at least every 6 months.
I target shoot several times a month, and that's not enough. Even at that, I need to shoot the "battle loads" to remember the difference in how the rounds shoot.

Jack_Bauer24

I read a post the other day but it was talking about rifle ammo how not to leave it in a hot car but I wouldn't think that rifle ammo is any different than handgun ammo. Your right about cycling it every 6 months or so and replace with fresh stuff.

renegadebuck

rimfire rounds are more succeptable(?) to moisture condensation than centerfire rounds. I would worry about a .22 and the like, but not a centerfire. I just think it wise to practice some with your protection ammo. My target ammo shoots lower than my Gold Dot or Talons do.

DiscoRacing

I have four rifles and three handguns that never leave my car... Ive had them in there for aprox. yr and a half...never have any trouble with ammo not firing.

landcruzr

I havent heard of a reliability issue, but I do believe that the temp has an effect on the burn rate of the powder and therfore can effect the accuracy.....It would probably be so minimal in handgun ammo that it would most likely not even be noticed- However in precision rifle- A shooter would notice it-and should be aware of it prior to the shot-and therefore be able to compensate for the temp change, or have the gun dialed in for the current temp- In my long guns there is a noticeable difference in my summer and winter zero