Keep your finger off the trigger.

Tokamak

I saw a disturbing episode of Cops the other night. Guy goes to another guy's house to argue about money owed. Home owner decides to protect himself with his .44 mag revolver.

During the altercation the tresspasser throws something at the homeowner who flinches in response and sends a round into his own leg. It was ugly.

They did not go into details but it seems to me that home owner was standing there gun cocked, finger on the trigger, gun pointing down when the object was thrown.

I told my wife about this. She, like me, has a CCW. I reminded her to pull her gun with her finger behind the trigger until she gets it pointed at the target.

The old rule "keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot" seems to make sense.

Hard Ball

Any comptent well trained piistol shooter can safely draw and fire a pistol from a properly designed holster with their finger on the trigger.

Tokamak

Huh?

Any comptent well trained piistol shooter can safely draw and fire a pistol from a properly designed holster with their finger on the trigger.

I said that I thought the guy was standing there with the gun at his side and his finger on the trigger.

I think the time to put your finger on the trigger is when you are ready to fire. Anything else is kinda stupid/dangerous.

Gbro

Tok;
I will stand behind you all the way on this, and i would never draw with my finger on the trigger.
Rule Number III, is always in efect.
Hardball is going to loose some points in the shooting compatition if it fires befor the sights are on target!

Hard Ball

"Any comptent well trained piistol shooter can safely draw and fire a pistol from a properly designed holster with their finger on the trigger."

"I think the time to put your finger on the trigger is when you are ready to fire. Anything else is kinda stupid/dangerous."

You are simply saying that you are not competent and well trained. I'll take your word for that. but do not use that as an excuse to insult those who are.

Tokamak

You should have seen the leg.

Tok;
I will stand behind you all the way on this, and i would never draw with my finger on the trigger.
Rule Number III, is always in efect.

I wish I had a link to that video, his leg was in really bad shape. Although I guess you can imagine the effect of a .44 magnum going vertically down/through your leg. It would make anyone think about standing there with their finger on the trigger.

Gbro

H-B;
Where is it written that "competent well trained" give one the license to ignore the 3 basic rules?

FS2K

Yessir, I will.

Keep my finger off the trigger that is...well up until the weapon is facing what I mean to shoot anyway.

I was taught to do this. At ALL times and whenever handling ANY firearm, rifle, handgun, heck even the speargun I dive with.

I think it's a good safe practice. I know I want the people around me to abide by this rule when were out shootin.

HiltonFarmer

On target - on trigger : off target - off trigger.

Hopefully this mantra stays with me for a long time. It has done me well to this point.

Hiltonfarmer

The Canuck

When I was in the Army they always told me to keep my finger off the trigger until I was ready to put a bullet in something. So if I am involved in an incident where I have to draw my firearm, when I put my finger on the trigger, something drastic has to happen (complete and obvious surrender, turn tail and run, etc...) to keep me from discharging that firearm. I will not draw a firearm from a scabbard with my finger on the trigger EVER. That just begs God to apply Darwin's Theory.

USMCGrunt

"Any comptent well trained piistol shooter can safely draw and fire a pistol from a properly designed holster with their finger on the trigger."

"I think the time to put your finger on the trigger is when you are ready to fire. Anything else is kinda stupid/dangerous."

You are simply saying that you are not competent and well trained. I'll take your word for that. but do not use that as an excuse to insult those who are.

"This is the Glock .40 caliber handgun. I am the only one in this room that is highly trained enough to handle a Glock .40..." Sound familiar? Being a firearms instructor myself, show me just one qualified instructor that would agree with what you are saying. You keep your freakin' booger hook off the boom button until the sights are aligned on the target and you are ready to fire. What you are advising is a good way to get yourself shot in the foot. Maybe not today and maybe not tomorrow but son, you ain't gonna beat the odds forever!

Edward429451

Hardball, you may be right in the extreme of your statement but you're coming off a little self rightious and if you're the exception to the rule that's fine. but you as an alleged higher trained individual should realize that the rule is still in place for most, and you have no business calling insult where none was given by us lesser mortals. You sound like you have a chip on your shoulder.

The rule stands. Finger off the trigger until the sights are on the target.

Thunderhawk88

Until my sights are on target I maintain a "Master Grip", (finger along the frame, NOT on the trigger). I've seen one too mant "Highly trained experts" aircondition their leg or foot.

BikerRN

"Off Target Off Trigger/On Target On Trigger" is a great little mantra, but it doesn't work like that IRL.

I have had the extreme pleasure of pointing a loaded firearm at another person and assessing the situation. In other words, they STOP RIGHT NOW, or I shoot. Luckily they have all stopped so far.

At those times I was ready and willing to shoot. Once they stopped I still had to hold them at gun point. I was on target, but my finger sure as heck had no business being on the trigger.

I have trained to keep my finger off the trigger until I am ready and committed to firing. Once firing is done, finger is off trigger.

What I type may be seen as a copy of Mr. Ayoob, but that is because his teachings have been a BIG influence in my life through his printed works. I have yet to meet him or attend LFI. I was scheduled to take LFI 1 later this year, but will be in Glynco, GA for training when LFI is going on.

Oh well, there is always next year.

Biker

OldShooter

Competency & training

I'd like to be a competent and well trained pistol shooter too. Where did you get that training and who certified you as such? Is that only available in Kalifornia or elsewhere?

NCHornet

I have had the extreme pleasure of pointing a loaded firearm at another person and assessing the situation

I too have had to point a loaded firearm at a another person in SD. However calling this a "extreme pleasure" is quite the foolish statement. I hope I never have to do such a thing again, but I am confident that I would have no problem in doing so. Stating you take "extreme pleasure" in this act, gives other gun owners a bad name and makes you come across as a Mall Ninja, just looking to kill somebody. Hopefully this was simply a bad choise of words and not how you really felt after drawing on somebody.
It is a very sureal feeling when you understand how close you came to ending another persons life. I also disagree, if the need arises to make something your target, then as the gun comes to point the trigger finger is on the trigger, at least this is the way I was taught. If I don't intend on pulling the trigger I have no business drawing the weapon.

XD Gunner

UH huh, sure...

"This is the Glock .40 caliber handgun. I am the only one in this room that is highly trained enough to handle a Glock .40..." Sound familiar? Being a firearms instructor myself, show me just one qualified instructor that would agree with what you are saying. You keep your freakin' booger hook off the boom button until the sights are aligned on the target and you are ready to fire. What you are advising is a good way to get yourself shot in the foot. Maybe not today and maybe not tomorrow but son, you ain't gonna beat the odds forever!

That will be the scenario sooner or later if your "competent and well trained" or a bit self righteous and overly confident.

Michigunner

I think Hard Ball was just having some fun with the readers. Still, it is risky because someone in training might consider that as an alternate means of drawing.

Anyway, it would help you obtain exclusive use of the firing range and generally help you maintain privacy.

wolfdog45

Follow the simple rules of shooting and you won't have an accident.
Do what Hard Ball sayes and you will have an accident.