Keep Dies From Rusting

akinswi

Where I live, Humidity is a major problem. Unless I soak my dies in oil and I mean soak they will rust. And I have tried every oil from Barricade to CLP

I recently have been treating my dies with Isso GunBrite polish. and it really has cut down on the rusting on the outside. Leaves no noticeable residue and my finger prints are not noticeable.

I was wondering if a microcrystalline product like Renaissance Wax would actually last longer and work better.

My shop is not climate controlled

Shadow9mm

I use the mtm ammo crates for die storage. Keep a silica gel pack in the crate. No rust issues. Can fit about 10 die sets and a few extras

Best oil to prevent rust i have ever personally tried is eezox. Smell is strong, but it works snd is kind of a dry waxy lube.

Most people don't realize the reason Japanese swords are so highly polished is to prevent corrosion. Polish well and apply a rust inhibitor like LPS-2 or Birchwood Casey Sheath. Reapply with a rag after you handle the dies.

cdoc42

Kano Laboratories, Inc., perhaps best known among gun enthusiasts for "Microil," the oil that creeps, also makes "Weatherpruf," and the can relates:

"An effective protective coating against rust and corrosion for periods of up to one year, depending upon weather conditions. It is applied cold, and dries in 30-45 minutes."

I don't need to protect my reloading equipment, but I have used this product successfully to protect metal surfaces on outdoor projects.

I believe it is only available by contacting Kano directly: www.Kanolabs.com

gwpercle

Ren-Wax would be one of the best rust preventatives ... and since it is a wax ...it will stay on the metal surface and not evaporate , dissapate or rub easily off .
And since Ren-Wax is a great case lube you can use it when re-sizing cases .

It's a Case Lube and Rust Preventative ... sounds like a winner to me !

Let me add ... I live in hot humid Louisiana and being a tight & thrifty Cajun don't spend a lot of money on costly Ren-Wax ... I spray my reloading dies with with Liquid Wrench Dry Lube (L512) ... I'm sure any Dry Lube will work but I've had this big can Liquid Wrench 512 for 15 years and after spraying the dry coating stops all rust ... I use it my bullet moulds too .
The dry film wipes off and leaves no residue ...just thought I would mention it , it's not expensive or messy and it prevents Louisiana rust .
Gary

Last edited:

FrankenMauser

It doesn't hurt to keep VCI (Vapor Corrosion Inhibitor) sheets with your dies, as well.
If you buy in small quantities, from obvious sources, they're overpriced.
But if you go to a packaging company or industrial supply type place, they are cheap.
I bought a package of 4x4" VCI paper about 3 years ago, for packaging laser-cut sheet metal parts. 1,000 sheets for something like $18.

In a sealed container, shelf life is advertised as 2-3 years, depending upon type and manufacturer. But they have been shown to be effective for longer.

You know those little cardboard squares that come with Hornady dies, shell holders, and reloading tools? They're not trash, or packing material, or misplaced tabs from packaging, they're VCI squares.

Dillonhelp

The most inexpensive automotive paste wax is an effective vapor barrier. rub it onto any ferrous metal susrfaces with your fingers.

...unless you are a "ruster" (someone whose hands turn all his steel tools brown). A ruster should use disposable gloves with his Turtlewax to block the salt from his skin. For die threads, the automotive wax applied with a retired (but cleaned) toothbrush is a good way to get it down into the grooves.