Kahr's Black Coating?

Dashunde

Is it any good?

I was going to go buy a new PM9 today and they just sold the last stainless one, but they have the black.
I like the looks of it, but wonder about its durablity?

Microgunner

Kahr calls it their "Black Diamond" finish. It's a black coating over a stainless steel slide and it's very hard. I carry my P380 loose in my pocket frequently and the finish is showing no ill effects from it. The Black Diamond finish is a price upgrade from the plain SS slide.

C0untZer0

Sorry to not address your OP, I don't know anything about their finish.

But...Kahr just made a design change to the PM9 recently. The new design increases the OA length by adount 1/8" and I am curious to know if you are getting the older shorter blunt nose design or the newer longer tapered design:

attachment.php

attachment.php

They talk more extensively about the design change here:

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t...le+PM9+tapered

Just curious as to what design you are looking at

PSP

I carry a black P9 which has held up as well as any other finish I own. Kahr's black isn't real pretty but it is durable.

Jimmy10mm

I wish I had gotten my P380 with the black slide. Wasn't what the LGS had and I was hot to trot so went with the polished stainless. Maybe one of these days I'll send it in for a refinish.

EDIT; Just got off the phone with Kahr. The black coating is heat treated onto the slide so they cannot refinish a stainless slide. He said they would sell a black slide to me if I wanted to send in the gun. The cost would be $331.00 and they would fit the black slide and send it back. Also includes a black slide stop and trigger. I'm going to be out of character and be satisfied with what I've got. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Oldjarhead

I have the PM9 with the black finish and night sights. The black finish is very good and tough. I have not had any issues with it.

vyse.04

I bought a used K9, and there are a few spots where the finish is wearing. One spot is on the trigger guard from where the price tag was hanging. Aside from the few minor spots, it has held up well.

BoneDigger

I have a PM9 with the black coating. Haven't used it much but I have been carrying it in a kydex holster for a few weeks and the coating still looks new.

Todd

Dashunde

I brought home a new black pm9094 today, and I swung by the range and ran 200 rounds of Federal grayboxcheapstuff thru it, plus a box of PDX1 and walked away satisfied that I reloaded with the PDX1 for edc.
Other than the expected hicup during the first 20 rounds or so it was excellent, just like my pm9 from 7 years ago that I stupidly sold.

Although it wasnt what I was shooting for to start with, turns out I really like the black coating. :)

I know a few around here complain about a kahr needing a two hundred round break-in - that its rediculous and no proper gun should need it.
I beg to differ... this thing, just like my old gun, was super-tight and wore just enough during the first few mags that its parts "seated" and it very quickly became reliable and very accurate.
Besides, required break-in or not, who whould smartly rely on a gun that has less than 200 thru it anway??

chris in va

I have one of those 'special edition' K9's with the black slide. I don't think it's the same as the diamond finish as this stuff has worn off quickly. It's also on a carbon steel slide, not stainless.

bikerbill

My black PM9 has been my EDC since I got my plastic in '04 and it still looks like new after both pocket holster and belt holster carry ... seems pretty durable to me ....

ClydeFrog

Kahr Arms; "Black Diamond", Black T...

I requested & got a new 2011 Kahr/Auto Ord/Desert Eagle product catalog.
In the printed material, the "Black T" version of the Kahr models is listed as discontinued. :(
I'm not 100% sure of the real changes between "blackened" stainless, Black-T & the "Black Diamond" coatings.
I booked a few new in box black Kahrs on www.GunsAmerica.com .
These compact firearms are not cheap. Kahr does have a solid rep in the shooting sports/firearms industry.

ClydeFrog
www.Black-T.com

Dashunde

The the barcoded sticker on my box says "PM9 W DIAMOND BLACK SLIDE PM9094A"
As mentioned above, it has the new tapered slide.