Kahr PM9 - Nice new 'lil gun

nass

I have been eying getting a smaller pistol to tote when I can't carry my normal 3" 1911 around. I didn't think I would wind up with a tupperware gun, but I found the lightweight nature calling me. I got a Kahr PM9 to fit the bill. This thing is only 14oz empty, and fits in approximately a 5"x4" footprint

My first time with one on the rental range left me less than impressed, but then I found out that the gun had about 50k through it. It was also due for some new springs, and that is why the recoil wasn't the nicest. The 'lil gun shot well though. It was calling me.

Fast forward a couple days ago and my normal shop convinced me that I needed to take this one home. I ran ~200 WWB through it, and 50rds of Silvertips through it. Never one malfunction, and this copy shot very nicely. The pistol needs the break in period because it is now much smoother than it was when new. She sure got toasty doing this rapid break in. It's not something I would want to do everyday, but it was no big deal to do this in an hour.

Shooting this gun with the flush-fit mag requires your pinky finger to hang loose, and that seemed odd at first. You can see that it didn't really affect anything though. The trigger is a very long stroke, but it is nice and smooth.

Here's a pic with the target from the 50rds of Silvertips through it at 7yards. This was my normal fast-paced firing. All of this target was done with the 6 round flush fit magazine as this is the mag it will normally be carried with.

KahrPM9_target7yds.jpg

I found a new part-time companion.

Wrascal

I'd love to see/ perhaps purchase one, but.....

I'm about to give up and go with a Kel-Tec AND a Glock - both of which I can see/fondle, for less overall $ than the unseen PM9 is being quoted for.

Redneckrepairs

Congrats on the new pistol. I hope yours serves you as well as mine has me lol . The pm is about the best i have found for when i need to deep conceal .

Duxman

I've got the all steel brother of your PM9 - the MK9.

And I agree with all your comments. Its a fine weapon. Accurate and reliable. Also small enough for pocket carry.

Great for summer and all around hot weather use.

DennisD

Rather than letting the pinky hang loose, use it to grip the base of the mag. This is a grip used for a snubby. It helps control recoil.

I have the P9 and love it. Thinking about getting a used K40 I saw recently (if it is still there).

nass

It's definately not a Seecamp sized back pocket piece, but it does well in shorts pockets and IWB with little cover. What holsters do you all use?

I was thinking of the MK series, but the weight was close to my Ultra 1911, so there was not much advantage. It would have been tough having those extra ounces in the pocket.

The pinky finger doesn't hang out like those pretencious tea sippers, but rather it is curled up under there in the grip of the offhand. Not a bad grip, just not a full framed one with all the fingers with a home.

tannoa

Great gun, that's for sure. I'm considering one as well. A little more spendy than I'd like, but also seems to be the biggest caliber in the smallest package. Did you consider the .40 model, and if so, what made you go with the 9mm?

Duxman

It's definately not a Seecamp sized back pocket piece, but it does well in shorts pockets and IWB with little cover. What holsters do you all use?

I use Galco's IWB for the K9/MK9 and its worked out fine. I also have a DeSantis belt holster that when used in conjunction with an untucked shirt - is virtually invisible.

Did you consider the .40 model, and if so, what made you go with the 9mm?

Briefly considered the .40 model but from every report that I have read - the recoil is quite harsh in such a small package. However the 9mm recoil is very soft. Easy to do follow up shots. Considering that most guns of similar size carry 380 ACP, and 32 ACP - the 9mm is a pretty big punch for a pocket / deep concealment weapon.

Redneckrepairs

I currently use a cheap Don Hume clip on iwb for both my pm and my p9 . I did not consider the .40 in either formfactor . IMHO the 9 is fine , if i do my part it will do its .

nass

I did briefly consider the 40, but that would of had to be a MK series for the extra weight to control the snap of the 40 cartridge. I didn't shoot one, so that's a theory. I think the magazine only held 5 versus 6 if I recall correctly. This 14 ounce pistol in 9mm comes back very nicely on target for followup shots. I don't see the benefit of the 40...

Another thing for me is that this is a complement to my normal 45 for when I need something smaller. If I need big, I have a great package that just requires different dress.