Kahr PM40 and finish

bakon

Day or two from buying my first Kahr. Glock man mostly but needing an off duty carry, currently a G27 and a Colt Mustang. Want something smaller than the 27 but more behind it than a 380, and left handed so dont want to deal with another single action or anything with a safety. So the Kahr looks like its a good fit to me. Held several and usually like an all black gun, just in case the shirt rides up, figure black gun is harder to notice than the shiney ones.
Anyways want to know how the finishes are holding up on the PM series. Saw a used black one on gunbroker which looked beat up to me. Edges were worn and finish looked to be rubbed or scratched through. Have not seen the silver in a used, so dont know if they scratch easy.
My G27 is 15 years old and looks almost new. I take care not to beat it up but want to know how durable either finish holds up. Thanks

AH.74

I think the stainless finish is very durable. The only significant wear I've seen on Kahrs is on the ones with that black finish.

If you handle one the same way as with your Glock I'm sure it will hold up to your satisfaction.

Dashunde

My PM9's black coating was pretty good.
It only polished up a little on a corner or two that rubbed the leather the hardest (slide muzzle)

Although I never dropped it, whacked it on anything nor laid it directly on the concrete benches at the range, it certainly held up well against every day carry and sweat.

It also looks really good in person... I say go for it, I'd buy it again.

Oh... and you'll love how much thinner and lighter it feels iwb compared to the G27, I sure did.

Fishbed77

My father has a 10-year-old MK9 with the black finish, and it has held up very well. Its finish is interesting. It's not a Nitride/Melonite finish that many guns use today. It's more like the baked-on finish used by CZ, just much nicer.

His has a few light scratches, but almost no actual wear through the finish, and still looks very good after a decade.

Last edited:

eman

I had a PM 40 but with the stainless slide, it was a great gun, pleasant to shoot, accurate and easy to conceal. I only sold it because I got out of 40 cal completely.

bakon

Kahr site lists two black finishes, but I dont know the difference.
4th Number
0: Carbon Steel, Black Oxide*
1: Carbon Steel, Nickel Finish*
2: Carbon Steel, Black T Finish*
3: Matte Stainless Steel
4: Blackened Stainless Steel
6: Polished Stainless Steel, Elite98*
8: Polished Stainless Steel, Elite2003
* Discontinued

sholling

I haven't had any finish issues with my stainless version but they do kick like a mule so I do suggest that you shoot one with your planned defensive load before buying. If I had it to do over I'd either get a MK40 or a PM9.

Will Beararms

Go ahead and order a return ticket with a shipping label from Kahr customer service and safe yourself a step. I got to hand it to Kahr. They keep that mystique going and the prices up for what you get.

Dashunde

Mine is just a couple of years old, new enough to have the latest PM9 slide design, if that tells you anything about which coating it is.

If you buy a PM40 I really want to know how it shoots compared to your G27.