Kahr pistols shoot Wolfe ok?

mini14jac

I am looking at getting either a MK9 or P9.
I like to shoot as much as possible, so Wolf is a good choice for me. (Not for everybody!)
My Bushmster and Glock don't have problems with it.
(I know, many people hate Wolf ammo.)

Any Kahr owners that shoot Wolf in their guns?
I have read that Kahrs have tight chambers and was wondering if Wolf ammo feeds ok.

Also, I have read about all of the problems with P9s.
Any recent owners of these guns here?
I am wondering if the factory is starting to get a handle on these problems.
I would love a P9, but I don't like shipping new guns to the factory.
(I prefer Glocks to KelTecs.)

Thanks,
JP
><>

Bad Al

Never used Wolf ammo but for some reason there is a sign at the range stating no Wolf ammo allowed on range. The sign say's that it is dangerous to use. I thought people didn't like it just because it was dirty.

TKHover

I've had a P9 since Aug. and have 500+ rounds through it with no problems. I never used Wolf ammo. I've been using Walmart Winchester White Box (value packs) almost exclusively. The little P9 just eats it up. If you get one, make sure that the mods and fixes have been taken care of...if it's used or one of the older ones. If it's new from the factory they should have been done. Great gun. Very accurate...highly recommended.
Tom

waltherpfive

I have had my P9 for a few months now and put about 750 rounds through it with no problems at all. I use S&B for practice and it works well with the Kahr. It is cheap try it, I think you'll like it.

Hoppy

I have a K40 and I've put about 600 rounds through it, the majority of them being Wolf. I have had no problems. The most I put through at one time was 200 rounds. The only real dirt is on the outside near the muzzle and on the trigger linkage. Cleans up pretty easy if you start when you get home.

I have also put Federal hydrashoks, UMC, and Fiocchi through it. Zero problems.

I had asked this before without much response. Why don't people like Wolf ammo?

Dave R

Bad Al, I think the reason you're range doesn't like Wolf is because it has a steel core, which is harder on backdrops.

But if the Kahr has a tight chamber, I would stay away. Many of the bad reports on Wolf 9mm center around cases stuck in the chamber. A tight chamber would make that very likely.

I had the "cases stuck in chamber" problem. Forced myself to shoot up my 500 rounds of Wolf. No more for me.

I still use Wolf in my AK, but no more in my pistol.

mini14jac

Thanks for all of the answers guys.

Hoppy,
I think there are a number of reasons that people don't like Wolf:

1. People build or buy a cheap AR, then try to shoot the cheapest ammo in it. If it doesn't work, must be the cheap ammo.

2. Dirty. -Yes, it's dirty, but doesn't seem any dirtier than the other ammo that I shoot.

3. The lacquer melts and gums up the chamber, results in stuck shell casing in the chamber.
- I don't usually shoot more than 300 rounds at a time through my Glock or Bushmaster. Hasn't been a problem for me.
If you shoot full auto, maybe more of a problem.

4. Steel casing is hard on your extractor.
-Your extractor is mad of hardened steel, much harder than the shell casing. You should still have small spare parts on hand, and know how to change them.

If I had experienced a blown up gun with Wolf ammo, maybe I would feel differently, but, truth is, any ammo can blow up.
Exploding powder is violent!

JP
><>

Bandit

mini14jac,

The Kahr models you mentioned were enginered for concealed carry, I think your #3 and #4 points in your last post point out the main reasons I wouldn't shoot Wolf through them. Why put a pistol that you're going to trust your life on through this type of abuse if it's not necessary? Wolf would be fine IMO for a range gun that I used specifically for plinking and target fun. I do put alot of rounds through my carry gun, but Wolf will never get near any of them or any gun I use for personal defense for that matter. Their are other choices for cheap practice ammo available...

My new P9 has been flawless so far but it's still early in the game for me to give it my full stamp of aproval yet. It's definitely easy to conceal and comfortable to shoot even when Cor-Bon's hot 115gr +P rounds are run through it. It'll make a nice back-up to my G30 or 1911. A pocket holster from Alessi is on order in anticipation.

Rick

glockorama

I never, EVER, use wolf ammo. If I went to a range that only sold wolf ammo, I would just not shoot that day. Crapy stuff. I had my first and only squib load with wolf ammo. My Mak had a "pop and no kick", took it apart, and sure enough, there was a bullet jammed in the barrel. Some idiot at wolf forgot to put powder in the case.:mad:

bountyh

Sellier and Bellott is only a few bucks more than Wolff and has none of the problems. I would nevr put Wolf in a gun I owned.

Hoppy

Interesting stuff on the Wolf ammo. So far, I've had good luck with it I guess. Perhaps I'll find out differently as I have 400 rounds left to shoot of my original 500. It will all go through my Kahr. If I have anything other than good experiences I'll let you know.

Lorandun

i shot wolf through my K9 kahr till i ran out of it and ordered some ammo for my AR15 ordered 9mm from the same place. brass cased same cost.. i forget where. ill see if i can track it down. same place i got the South African BattlePack .223 ammo. green watertight bags with the ripstrip. problay poot 800 round wolf through it with nary a problem. the 9mm chamber on the wolf dosent get hot enough to melt the laqure on the steel case. the AR15 chamber gets significantly hotter and might have the temp to do it. but since this SABP ammo was $30/300rnds i figures why not use it. brass cased, ill take the slightly higher cost for that added protection in my hand warmer ar15.

Lorandun NOVA5

hankvb

Wolf

I used a lot of Wolf ammo (3000+ rounds) in a Kahr K9 and Mk9 without problems. I have friends who have used the Wolf in 223's and with high rates of shooting there was some softening of the lacquer. Some did deposit on the chamber. That has never happened in any pistol I own. My Taurus also eats the Wolf just fine. However I have switched to other brands (Sellier & Beliot, PMP) because I get them for nearly the same price. Brass case non-corrosive factory ammo is available for $100-$110 per thousand plus a little shipping (no tax) if you searce the Web a little.:cool:

Romadoc

I have a pair of Kahr K9s and I find they do just fine on PMP. This sells at Century Arms for $109.75/1000 FMJ DELIVERED and the brass can be reloaded. This is NEW factory brass ammo. Makes for great practice at a reasonable cost.

Centuryarms.com