Kahr P9 what do you think of yours?

shiroikuma

I'm still less than enthusiastic about mine. While Kahr did fix the slide locking back problem, I still find it hard to shoot well because of the distance from backstrap to trigger. It's too short for me to pull well.

On the other hand the dang thing is sooo small. Small is good if you want to carry, especially if you want to carry without dressing way out of your non gun toting dress code. Slim is good too and it's the slimmest 9mm out there I think.

The darn thing is well made too. I mean look at the inside surfaces sometime. Smooth and very finely fitted. Accurate as well (if the short trigger distance didn't make it soo hard to realize).

I like my PCR much better (it's and alloy framed CZ-75 compact) and shoot it better too (maybe because I have a .22 kit for it and shoot it a lot more). It's better looking by far but it' harder to carry because the but is so much bigger.

How about the rest of you?

shiro

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. I got rid of my P9 due to the premature slide lock problems. Other than that, I liked the pistol really well, but had lost faith in that particular P9. I understand that others have had no problems whatsoever and I strongly suspect that the slide stop problem will be fixed quietly at the factory and present no problem in coming guns. I am able to shoot my Glock 26 accurately and faster than I could the P9, but it's not as small as the P9.

Best.

HankB

shiroikuma, I just got my P9 returned after its SECOND trip back to the factory. This time, they replaced more parts (including the slide stop) and seem to have gotten things right. I've fired 75 rounds of WIN USA ball ammo and a couple of magazines of assorted JHP with no problems, so maybe it's fixed right this time. Given the problems I've had so far, I won't really trust it until it's gone through 400 or 500 rounds flawlessly, at which point I'll feel secure in carrying it.

I like the light weight and compact design, and it seems to be reasonably accurate - during the brief function test I mentioned above, I reduced several head-sized rocks to gravel at around 25-30 yards. If it demonstrates reliable operation, I'll be happy and carry it when summer heat here in central Texas encourages me to "dress down" to the point where concealing my BHP is a problem.

treeprof

I like mine a lot. I have had none of the problems that some others have, and it is a really accurate pistol - mine shoots 1" at 15 yds w/out problem as long as I do my part. The ergonomics do leave a bit to be desired for people who do not have the hands of a 10 yr old. I put an overgrip on mine to help my (big) hands cope with the small frame, and rounded off the slide stop so that my rt thumb could ride higher out of the way of my trigger finger without being chewed to bits by that poorly designed stop. I also think the shape of the bottom of the trigger guard on all Kahrs is plain awful - it's too easy to drag one's finger, but I've managed to adjust. It's not the perfect gun by any means, but none of the others I've owned and shot is either. The adjustments I had to make were pretty minor, and it's hard to beat for a carry piece.

Onslaught

Shiro... did Kahr finally send your shipping reimbursement?

After all that raving about them, and not having any lockbacks, etc... apparently the slide stop plate shot loose, and I had FTF's from something or other slipping out of place and not pulling the striker back.

Sent it off, Kahr did all the "upgrade" work, tested it and sent it back. They told me to mail my UPS receipt, and I received the check in the mail yesterday.

All in all, Gun took 10 days, check took 3 weeks.

I've only run a box through it, but I don't expect to have any problems. But I do carry a KT P32 for backup now.

IMHO, as long as you have "the screw" under your slide stop, you're OK. Still wanna hear from someone with a P40.

shiroikuma

Onlsaught_

Thats' my story too. I shipped it back took three weeks or so to get the pistol I think. No check with it. I called up and left a message asking where it was. I got the check about 5 days later sent priority mail. So I did get repaid for shipping costs and the pistol seems to work fine now. I am going to be traveling in the lower 48 and I think I'll end up taking the Kahr instead of my beloved PCR even though I don't shoot it as well because the darn thing is so small I can carry it in my pants pocket.

If I was sure I would keep it I'd hack off the grip to take the MK9 mags.

shiro

shiroikuma

Success! I've improve my Kahr dramatically!

Success! I've improved my Kahr dramatically!

I was thinking about ways to improve the shootability for myself. I knew that the problem for me is that the distance to the trigger is too short making it difficult to achieve good trigger control.

Here is my solution
View

I made a thicker backstrap out of epoxy putty that I could add to the back of the pistol grip to make it the reach between the back of the pistol grip and the trigger longer. I think I added about a 1/2 inch of material. Because I have been less than thrilled by the Kahr in the past I didn't want to do anything that would make it more difficult to sell. I didn't want the putty messing up the finish or sticking permantly.

To accomplish this I wraped the grip and most of the gun in aluminium foil and pressed it flat against the surfaces of the gun. I then mixed up the putty and applied it to the backstrap over the foil. I shaped and molded it to suit me and let it harden. In 1/2 hour I had this. I just removed the foil (it stuck to the putty a little) and used some masking tape to hold the putty on when I went to the range.

This worked great! The putty made such a close fit the masking tape was unneccisary while I was holding the gun and the putty backstrap didn't move or shift at all. The trigger feel was dramatically better. I mean dramatically better.

You should try this if you have the same problem with your P9. The putty is $8 or so and it's very easy to do.

Shiro

PS It still isn't quite as accurate as my PCR but it's much closer.

[Edited by shiroikuma on 03-03-2001 at 04:41 PM]

Onslaught

Shiro,

You can get the same effect, with a much more aesthetic appearance, by using the "AGrip". http://www.brookstactical.com

I don't think he makes one specifically for the P9 yet, but he sells the stuff in sheets. You can build up the backstrap with putty (as you did) or there are instructions on the site on how to use foam rubber for a softer backstrap.

FWIW, I am truly impressed at the smoothness of your work... if it wasn't white, and taped, I'd think it was professional.

shiroikuma

update

View

with a houge grip sleeve and a badly done black paint job.

shiro

Onslaught- Thanks! :D Especially since the epoxy stiffens up in 3 min or so. Not much time to mess around.