Kahr P9 Trigger

veprdude

I have a Kahr P9 that used to be my carry gun. I'm considering carrying it again, but would like a better trigger. There's no safety so I'd like to keep around the same weight, just reduce the slop. Anyone done this?

Dfariswheel

I'm not sure what your P9 has in it, but Kahr has an Elite trigger for the more expensive models that may be available for the P9.
I think they would want to install the assembly.
You might contact them for details.

Much depends on what you mean by "slop".
The Kahr trigger is what it is, and the trigger is a big selling point.
It's not a Glock or S&W M&P or any of the other short "safe" trigger guns.
It's a true double action that was designed to operate like a S&W revolver trigger.

Shortening the length of pull or take up is not something that's really possible or advisable.
Once you approach it as a "magazine fed DA revolver" it makes sense.

You hear a lot of complaints from Glock users who aren't used to DA revolvers and they don't like the Kahr trigger.
Those of us who grew up with DA revolvers feel right at home with Kahr.

wild cat mccane

Mcarbo has a kit that I was looking at for a CM9. I didn't end up doing it, but the install wasn't overly complicated?

While long, the striker is 100% cocked on a Kahr, so reducing that long pull isn't making it any less safe?

Dfariswheel

I'll have to look, it's been a while since I was in it, but I don't think the Kahr striker is fully cocked, mostly semi-cocked.
As the trigger is pulled, the striker moves farther back to the release point.

Like a DA revolver, a lighter trigger pull will be okay, but not a shorter pull.

wild cat mccane

Kahrs are 95 percent cocked. I know. It goes against everything we've heard and thought about Karhs since everyone has to say "double action revolver" when they talk Kahrs.

The long pull is intentional, but it is slop that mcarbo takes out.

At the end, a Kahr is less like a double action revolver or even a glock. Made drop safe by a firing pin block. Long pull probably the reason we don't see a drop safety trigger dingus on them.

Last edited:

veprdude

Interesting take that the trigger is designed that way. I haven't read any literature about its design. It was given to me as a carry gun. I carried it for a few years but was never able to shoot it very accurately. Low capacity plus accuracy problems led me to replace it as a carry gun. It's always been 100% reliable and there are times when I needed a slimmer pistol, like when wearing a suit.

Filling out the grip I think will help with accuracy but I've gotten used to short trigger pulls and the P9 isn't ticking as many boxes as I'd like.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Kahrs are 95 percent cocked.
I have a P9 so I got it out and did some measurements.

Immediately before the striker is released to fire, the striker spring is compressed about 13mm. About 10mm of that is done by the slide preloading/pre-cocking, about 3mm is done by the trigger action.

Looking only at the striker spring compression in terms of compression distance indicates that the preload accounts for about 77% of the total compression.

Spring force is a function of the square of the compression distance, so to find out how much force is on the striker as a result of preload vs. trigger action, we have to do a little math. It works out that the last 3mm of cocking action by the trigger accounts for about 41% of the force that the striker spring will exert on the striker.

So, depending on how you want to look at it, the Kahr striker (at least for the P9) is either about 77% cocked (spring compression distance) or about 60% cocked (spring force) when a round is chambered.

For comparison, Glocks are 50-60% cocked (spring compression distance) or about 25% cocked (spring force) when a round is chambered.