Kahr P9 trigger pin woes

bikeguy

Sent my P9 back when it developed the trigger-pivot-pin-backing-out-of-the-frame problem that has been much discussed here. Sent it back on March 5. Called today and they said it should be shipped back early next week.

Just a warning to those who have P9's or P40's that have not yet had this problem - if yours does develop this problem, you will be waiting a while to get it back. Other than having to wait a month to get it back, I love the gun.

Catbird

I'm just curious, how many rounds had you fired when the infamous "walking trigger pin" problem first developed in your gun?

I have a P40 which I'm very fond of. After approximately 300 rounds, I noticed that the trigger pin had backed out just a "tad" (tad=the thickness of a CD). I applied a tiny drop of blue LOCTITE to it and tapped it back in with a small plastic mallet. It has been fine ever since. I don't think I'd send the gun back to Kahr for something like that unless it developed into a chronic problem.

BTW, are you experiencing the infamous "warpage of the left frame rail" problem that I've seen documented?

bikeguy

I called Kahr and they said "yeah, we've been having that problem - send it on in." Did not realize it would take that long.

Mine started at approximately 500 or so rounds. Sent it in as soon as it started. Backed out of the frame by a little over 1/8 inch.

I too have the funky left frame rail. Called them about it and they said it isn't a problem. So far it has not been a problem for me. If it ever is, guess I'll send it back and see if they will just give me a new frame - hopefully that won't take a month.

38Mike

The pin on my P9 moved after about 1100 rounds, I set pistol on it's side and pressed pin in, heard it "snap" into place.....hasn't moved since.

My frame has the "bow" on the left side, hasn't been a problem as far as functioning goes...just looks like crap on a $579.00 gun.......

Last edited:

ljackson

Kahr does indeed have a problem with their polymer frames. They warp, but Kahr tells me the only "real" contact points are the inserts at the rear of the weapon and the dust cover rails, all else is for looks. The trigger pin is corrected by inserting a new trigger pin with a full detent around it. Then they drill a hole near the trigger guard and insert a piano wire which slides into the detent to hold the trigger pin in. These are neat guns but have many problems. I own a full steel model and it is easy to disassemble fully, unlike the polymer models. Yes it does not have the light frame, but it works every time at the range. I hope to see a 10 rounder polymer frame model, if and when they get all the bugs out of the current frames. If they are real carefull, they could get a semi-double stacker to fit in a slightly wider frame about as thick as those wonderful grips on the all steel models.

IRock

I had the same problems with mine. They gave me a MK40 in trade for the plastic toy one. I'm really glad to be rid of it and happy for the trade up at no cost. If you take a good look at those warped frames you will see it's not just the rails ,but the ejecter also and the whole upper frame. The left rear metal rail will also probably be on a angle slightly. Not much for rails either. Nothing like a Glock frame. I just didn't have faith the gun would last as long as me.