Kahr P9 or Kel-Tec P11/P40

Onslaught

OK, the subject is pretty self explanatory...

Between the new Polymer Kahr P9 or the Kel-Tec family... which one?

For those who choose the Kel-Tec... P11 or P40?

Thanks for the input!

VictorLouis

Definitely would spend the extra dough for the Kahr. Well worth it in terms of reliability, accuracy, thickness, corrosion resistance and trigger pull.

Badger Arms

The Kaur is a good gun, but doesn't have the capacity of the Kel-Tec. The Khar also has less of a track record as a polymer gun.

galt

I owned a P-40 for a while. If you are going to buy one, BE SURE to shoot it first. The trigger pull is very hard to master.

Additionally, all KelTec's are project guns, and will give you a chance to learn a bit about gunsmithing as you work on getting the gun 100% reliable. This might be a plus for you, if you like to work on guns when you are not shooting guns.

------------------
galt
Speak Out on the Net http://www.netcitizen.org

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I have both. Neither is perfect.

My P11 is now back from fixes and I will find out if it still ejects brass in my face. P11 ia 100% reliable in other ways. Trigger is heavy but smooth, accuracy is good but requires practice.

P9 is now at Kahr because it never worked right (locked the slide backall too often). It is supremely accurate and has a better trigger. Easier to hide, I think. Less kick, too.

If both guns work right, P9 is easily much more pleasant and refined. However, P11 is less costly and is backed by mor eprompt service.

------------------
Oleg "peacemonger" Volk

http://dd-b.net/RKBA

VictorLouis

With all due respect, Oleg, the KelTec's "more prompt" service is MUCH more likely to be needed. Of the 10-12 apparent P9 owners on the board(guesstimate), your's is the only one that seems to have had a problem. :)

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
True. I do hope that Keltec gets its QC up even if that means a price jump. I like their designs. In fact, a P11 with an SA trigger would be perfect...

Moose

Kahr all the way!!!
I don't see how Kel Tech even comes close!!!!
I had a Kel Tec, and as all the rest of them, it seems, it was back and forth to the factory.(In other words---100% NOT reliable)
I sold it, and purchsed a Glock 23.
Ahhh, viel besser, and auch gute qualitaet!!

Locally, the Kahrs carry a good reputation, and lots of LEO's carry them off duty.
Spend the extra money!!
MOOSE

Onslaught

Gentlemen, (and ladies if applicable)

You have confirmed what I already knew. I have experience with Kahr, but NONE with Kel-Tech. After MUCH research, I purchased my wife the MK9 for her daily carry piece. She absolutely LOVES it. I currently own an MK40, but my pinkie gets so lonely hanging off all by itself. I hope the P9 will be the perfect combination of the K40 size/MK9 weight.

Thanks again for your input!
:)